• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The end all be all PCV and Grommet Thread ;)

StayTrue

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:15 PM
Reaction score
I’ve done a lot of research and although I’m probably gonna end up buying the Wagner PCV valve I just need something quick and and inexpensive at the moment and regardless of which when I go with I’m still going to need the correct grommet.
Just for specifications sake this is for 440 with MP vale covers…

So first off I just wanna make sure because I don’t really want to pop another hole in the valve cover unless I need to.. I can just replace one of the breathers with a grommet and PVC valve, correct?
I just wanted to make sure the grommet is going to cover the notches that the breather screws onto.

From researching, I learned that the original Mopar part was discontinued
p5249642

And then I read on some forms that they are grommets that Ford make that are an exact fit
M6892F

I did plan on getting a Wagner PCV valve
Dual Flow Adjustable PCV Valve – M/E Wagner Performance Products

But for now what basic pcv can I use?
Will this part work? It says it fits, but I’m afraid it might be too long and hit the baffle inside the valve cover.
Standard Motor Products V180 PCV Valve https://a.co/d/2Z8KI5r
You can find the same part just a different manufacturer at AutoZone or O’Reilly. They are all the same..
Thank you!!
If anyone has any other information to share, please do so.
Thank you!!

Last edited:
I can see you've thought this through. From a slightly less technical aspect, if that PCV valve is too long and hits the baffle (???), then why not just trim that nipple a little bit so it doesn't hit the baffle? If it were me, I'd "roll the dice" for $7.15. That's a small gamble

I can see you've thought this through. From a slightly less technical aspect, if that PCV valve is too long and hits the baffle (???), then why not just trim that nipple a little bit so it doesn't hit the baffle? If it were me, I'd "roll the dice" for $7.15. That's a small gamble
We’ll right I was thinking that might need to be done didn’t know if would affect anything or is there a better generic one available?

Well...
I had decided, 100% for sure, that I was going to install a pair of fabricated aluminum, black crinkle finished, "Mopar" in brushed aluminum, valve covers once I saw a pair on 2 different Mopars at Cruisin the Coast one year.
They were SO awesome looking, AND they were a bit tall and wide at the top vs factory or Mopar Performance style covers so aftermarket components like aluminum rocker arms would easily fit, AND they have a nice relatively thick lip to make for a nice seal..
Did I mention they LOOK AWESOME!?
The first thing I learned was they wouldn't fit with the factory HP cast iron exhaust manifolds. No big deal, I got a pair of 1⅞" diameter TTi ceramic coated polished headers.
THIS is the point re: PCV valve...
I bought a grommet and looked through a multi-model box of PCV valves and I picked one out that fit the grommet and the space I had. No biggie, or so I thought, it's a PCV valve and it has the ball valve to do, you know, "PCV valve stuff"...
A few weeks go by and I notice oil coming out of my VC breather on the other side. I know the crankcase is sealed up, except for the PCV valve that is connected to the exact same vacuum tube on my 6BBL center carb, and the breather in the VC on the other side allows the air to be pulled IN under vacuum, especially at idle.
WRONG! and thus my journey of education on how PCV valve tech works, and then advanced education by the great folks at M/E Wagner.
Although I don’t "think" I have excessive wear on my rings or cylinder walls, I didn't notice any issues with the cylinder walls when I had the heads off about 6 years ago, I DO not like pressure in the crankcase to cause leaks, or push oil out the breather cap, or push the oil dipstick up on full throttle, but I've had some of that happen. I'm not confident that my driver's side valve cover is well sealed in the lower corner by the firewall because of a "funky" stud there. That may be part of the problem.
SO I run the M/E Wagner on "max suck" which they call "open orifice" mode, and I know that helps. I definitely expect to switch it over to "tuned" mode once I get the 572 under the hood, BUT I may also wind up using a vacuum pump and puke can.
BOTTOM LINE?
Get the M/E Wagner asap because no other "PCV valve that fits" may work as intended, AS REQUIRED, and that can cause ALL KINDS of problems!

For any of you that were as lost as me reading post #6 above
[/URL][/URL]
Very informative, thx
It certainly wasn't a concise post, but I didn't intend for the informative portion to be lost on the reader.
The short version?
"Just because a PCV valve and grommet fit in your valve cover, doesn't mean it will work properly."
"Get the M/E Wagner PCV valve, and learn how to tune it, and do it. PCV valves are WAY more important than many people realize!
"
There...

Auto Transport Service
Back