• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The first computer generation.

Ghostrider 67

Jack Stand Racer #6..and proud of it!
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:58 AM
Reaction score
The world is always changing, seemingly faster and faster. My generation is/was the first true computer generation. The proliferation of computing devices, from the first Texas Instrument calculators all the way to the first desk tops. We went from zero computing to an ever evolving rotation of devices that did more and more stuff with every new device generation.
Our lives changed dramatically because we went from nothing, to the future nearly overnight.
ours is the last generation to really all play outdoors, to pass along learned behavior from the previous generation by oral means. We are the last generation to learn longhand writing and be tested on it, to learn etiquette, to communicate solely by face to face means or telephone/ radio and television. We are in our 60's now and have taken part in the computer age from day one. We have seen it all, from the beginning.
My point, as a member of this generation, is that we have come from nothing, all of the way to 5 year olds with cellphones that literally open their world to EVERYTHING with a press of the fingertip. The things we knew at age 17 back then...….children of 5-7 yrs old know now, or can find out on a whim. They are more connected now than the CEO's of fortune 500 companies were then. While our focus was wide angle back in the day, it's now narrowed down to 4" x 5".
These changes will surely generate other changes as society, business, marketing, and the job market adapt to the different way of life.
We older folks wont like it, we will poo poo it, avoid it, make fun of it. In the end we will learn the basics if only to be able to speak to our children, and grandchildren, in a language they understand.
Traditions we got from our elders will each fall to the wayside as the youngsters become more connected electronically and less connected personally. Brick and mortar will fade away In favor of digital stores, currency in hand will fade in favor of digital currency, interpersonal actions will drop away In favor of digital meetings, social cues will disappear because they wont be seeing each other in person and interacting, making height, weight, hair, eye, and skin color irrelevant, body language will no longer be an indicator of emotion and veracity, context will be lost because there are no clues given visually. it will become a cold and impersonal world where societies who DO still do everything the old way will seek to subjugate the ones who are operating in the ether. When this finally happens the outcome will depend on one thing...just one.

How many of us first gens are still around and how many are still in positions of power.

It's the age old truism, he who has the biggest stick wins. The highest walls, the most competent army, the best trained troops.
The kids with their faces stuck to a phone screen are going to get a wakeup call one day. I hope they survive it, I really do.

All the foregoing to say that, they see their world in a vastly different way than we do. They will work to construct the world around them to match their perception of it. We wont recognize it either.

The kids with their faces stuck to a phone screen are going to get a wakeup call one day. I hope they survive it, I really do.

When I was in school, using a calculator was considered cheating. Today, everybody's face stuck in a cell phone or computer screen & I have seen (through my own kids) the younger generation is becoming more and more socially retarded. While they can looks stuff up and find find answers quickly on their smart phones, for the most part, being creative by using their hands and mind is non-existent. Forget teaching them how to use a road map as most have no idea how to get anywhere in their cars now without a GPS. ....And they have no idea where they in their trip until they get to their destination.

Now you got me going!

They can look up an answer fast....but are clueless why the answer is correct or its logic. Free thought and comprehension is so far removed its scary....We are esentially growing a population of Borg...

Interesting subject. When I was in grade school, there was no such thing as a calculator, we had to learn out multiplication tables, and order of operations to do any math. I didn't use a calculator until high school, then it was basically a class on how to use a calculator. My dad had one for use with his job to do trig functions, it was an HP programmable calculator and it used magnetic strips and reverse polish notation. Ask these kids today what reverse polish notation is, and they have no clue.

No calculators in school for me either. Pencil and paper, long form mathematics. Learned how to count money also, forward and backward. Took algebra and trig. Problem solving was taught in school and it was an everyday thing.

Hec, they don't even teach cursive in public school's anymore. Kids can't write their own name. It's interesting this came up. As earlier today i was thinking about how fortunate i am to be able to ask members here for helpful insight during my build. Most of it is valuable info that you just can't google. At least not easily.
It's knowledge passed down & learned from trial & error. In my case- a lot of error.
I belong to a local gym. When i go in, i see young people wearing headphones ( to deter people from speaking to them ) and avoiding eye contact with others. Then i see older people on tredmills talking face to face. I feel like an unwelcome stranger in public anymore. A leftover from a different time.

I still have my HP calculator and my slide rule, damn I'm old! (but don't feel like it)

Your actually describing us early mellinials there ghost. While it’s true you witnessed the beginning of the computer age.. we Litterally grew up watching things we were told we couldn’t live without become obsolete in a matter of months. We went from corded phones and console TVs to cellphones and flatscreens all while trying to figure out where we fit in this world. We went from “be home when the street lights come on” to “make sure your cell phone is charged so I can call you at any moment”. You are absolutely wrong saying that the boomers are the last generation to play outside or tell stories Or learn things the hard way, That’s us. And though your generation saw the birth of the technology boom. My generation Was in the prime of our critical thought development when watched it take over our lives. Yes the internet was invented in the 70s but when did it become a requirement in every house? It was certainly the late 90s. Your generation had time to adapt to the changes. my generation had to figured how to roll with the punches because those changes kept getting more drastic and happening quicker. Mellinials are not given enough credit for how we have learned to adapt and often time grouped in with the later generation z (the participation trophy generation that was created by gen x)
Ok I’m off my soap box. It just pains me to see this hate towards the younger generations we had to figure out how to be people, While the world sped up exponentially around us. There is definitely one observation that seems ever present. Us younger generations were handed a Raw deal by those who came in front of us. Now that we are using our adaptation skills to take control. it seems like the older generations are getting upset about it.

Your actually describing us early mellinials there ghost. While it’s true you witnessed the beginning of the computer age.. we Litterally grew up watching things we were told we couldn’t live without become obsolete in a matter of months. We went from corded phones and console TVs to cellphones and flatscreens all while trying to figure out where we fit in this world. We went from “be home when the street lights come on” to “make sure your cell phone is charged so I can call you at any moment”. You are absolutely wrong saying that the boomers are the last generation to play outside or tell stories Or learn things the hard way, That’s us. And though your generation saw the birth of the technology boom. My generation Was in the prime of our critical thought development when watched it take over our lives. Yes the internet was invented in the 70s but when did it become a requirement in every house? It was certainly the late 90s. Your generation had time to adapt to the changes. my generation had to figured how to roll with the punches because those changes kept getting more drastic and happening quicker. Mellinials are not given enough credit for how we have learned to adapt and often time grouped in with the later generation z (the participation trophy generation that was created by gen x)
Ok I’m off my soap box. It just pains me to see this hate towards the younger generations we had to figure out how to be people, While the world sped up exponentially around us. There is definitely one observation that seems ever present. Us younger generations were handed a Raw deal by those who came in front of us. Now that we are using our adaptation skills to take control. it seems like the older generations are getting upset about it.

It's not a hate that we're talking about but a different way of life and upbringing. Will your generation fair out with a totally different set of skills and thought process that it takes to survive. That's what it all comes to these days, survival. Some will some won't. The "mellinials" are having to depend on their families in order to survive. Some choose to because it's the easy way out. Some do have the proper upbringing and or mindset to make something of themselves and will survive on their own but the census is showing not as many as it should be.

I can tell you're of the latter by your statements. You care what is being said :thumbsup:

It's not a hate that we're talking about but a different way of life and upbringing. Will your generation fair out with a totally different set of skills and thought process that it takes to survive. That's what it all comes to these days, survival. Some will some won't. The "mellinials" are having to depend on their families in order to survive. Some choose to because it's the easy way out. Some do have the proper upbringing and or mindset to make something of themselves and will survive on their own but the census is showing not as many as it should be.

I can tell you're of the latter by your statements. You care what is being said :thumbsup:
I apologize if I misread the previous statements. But your right I do care. I’m also a home owner at age 29. I started with my tire company 4 years ago as a roadside tire tech. Today I’m a white collar outside salesmen with a company car a livable salary and a healthy commission package. I was able to make those moves because of the way I was able to use the technology in place far better than my older counterparts. The world is changing and with it the values must change. No longer is it the guy who grinds the hardest that makes the biggest moves. It’s the guy that’s smart enough to do the job better and more efficiently. It’s not the guy who puts his 20 years in that becomes the manager. It’s the guy who’s smart and adaptable enough to keep the company moving forward. While you are correct that the skills are different, surviving in this world is also very different than it was for boomers. The world is more cutthroat and Trust is almost non existent. I don’t know if I like it but I know I have to live with it.

Interesting subject. When I was in grade school, there was no such thing as a calculator, we had to learn out multiplication tables, and order of operations to do any math. I didn't use a calculator until high school, then it was basically a class on how to use a calculator. My dad had one for use with his job to do trig functions, it was an HP programmable calculator and it used magnetic strips and reverse polish notation. Ask these kids today what reverse polish notation is, and they have no clue.
"reverse polish notation"???? Hell I haven't even heard of that one!!! And I'm an old fart too. I learned Basic C programming when computers first came out. At the time I was in the Insurance business and we took all the rating manuals we had for the various Companies we rep'd and converted them to first cassette tapes and then 5 1/2 inch floppies discs. We used a Radio Shack Trash 80/TRS 80, and a Commodore Vic 1800. We were the only agency to do that for all our companies. Now I have learned through my own fascination with computers, etc. to do a lot more technical stuff to make them work and build them. They have evolved that is correct. But today's youth seem to rely on them way too much and I firmly believe that it actually starts by permissiveness at the Family level. Both Parents work, have little or no time to interact with their kids, so the computer/phone now fills that void. Funny but I read where one of the founders of the modern computer age, Bill Gates actually refuses to allow any of that stuff at home at certain times, and absolutely never at dinner and afterwards. And he says his kids are better off for it than their peers. So the operative word here is "NO." Parents must and should put the kibosh on this at the Family level first. Then these kids will have to learn the basics before they incorporate the new technology into their daily lives and activities. But even the parents are tethered to their phones and often times they are too busy interacting with their employers because now days it seems everyone keeps working even when they are away from work or the office. I don't want that and I refuse to allow these devices to control my life. I will not be tethered to technology. I get a kick out of when I am routinely asked to provide a cell for number for text msgs, from X,Y,Z company. When they ask for one I tell them I do not have a cell phone and that gets the how come or you don't have one question from them. Every one has them so you should get on board. Wait a minute here. If you want to get in touch with me, then send me a letter or call me at the number I have given you. If I'm there then I will answer. Otherwise leave a message. To them it is outside their normal understanding, logic, and reasoning. :lol:I do have a cell and have had one for quite some time. I just like to jack them around for the reactions I get. Priceless!!! But I don't carry it hardly at all and when I do it is mainly for emergencies and maps for traveling and directions. Again I won't be tethered to technology. Finally...When I grew up and in school, we all learned cursive. After maturing and getting older, my cursive became un-ledge able so I changed back to printing letters individually. I got to where I could do it faster than in cursive so to this day I do so. However, with my cursive when I sign my name, it is not really all that easy to read it. But I do know how to still fill out a check which sadly, so many do not know how...cr8crshr/Tuck:usflag::usflag::usflag:

I know it's not all the youth today
it's a majority of them thou...

I bought my 1st house 18 years old, I was also paying
15% mortgage {not 3%-7%} thanks to a fucken' weak & feckless Peanut Framer
in charge at the time...
I had a 1st job that paid $1.65 an hr when I was 15
I was also slave labor for my fathers construction co.
My 1st good job after HS, all while going to college was $6.15 an hr...
I thought I was in high heaven too...
I was glad to have it...
I don't want to hear the bitchy whiners about what they get paid today...
& yes 'Thank god' it went up from there...
I put in my time...
I earned my way & I paid for it too...
I paid for all my kids to go thru school, some had a little scholarship help
I paid my own way too, I also worked my *** off &
got a scholarship to help pay some of it...
It wasn't easy, it's not supposed to be...
Life is tough, in fact it was extremely tough most the time
'until I was in my late 30's', it started to get a bit easier...

Nothing was handed to me, I didn't have the Internet
hell video games were at the arcades, not in most families living rooms
I didn't have point & click to find any answers, we read books
Encyclopedia Britannica

Life's not always easy, sometimes you have to work your *** off,
eat a shitload of crow on the way up, suck up your youth & ideology
to get ahead, but you have to work 1st...

Funny how my thinking totally changed from when I was 15 to now at 59 y/o

Albert Einstein Before Cell phones this is how we found our friends Bikes.jpg

IMO not all are stupid, some just act stupid
like the idiots of my generation that were druggies,
didn't care about the future, only what they could amass
or were the extreme other direction, total opposite of me...

All mostly loser protesters, that all mostly live off the govt. dole today
disenfranchised, wouldn't stand up & fight for anything
they are mostly reprogrammed to do, status quo PC BS
'by the indoctrination system of the teachers union/public education'
stuff really started going to **** in 67-69, drug cultures
even worse in 79 a few different social movements & tapered off
But then crazy stupid in 92-93, the new leadership, the dawn of the computer age...
The users & takers...

It was no longer what can you do for your country to contribute...
It's what can I scam or get free...

They are some of the parents & the older leaders,
that 'totally fucked' the whole world up today...

Albert Einstein fears cell phones.jpg

IMO it's a different world today, they are supposed to be the adults today
they are supposed to be the ones that make rules & laws we all abide by
I fear for what they will do to my country....

Liberal Colleges Safe Space.jpg

IMO the way kids are taught in all levels of schooling today
even to what they use...
Or how they get any information...
It is so subjected to conjecture & opinions, constantly or some TV celebrity BS
some douchebag they idolize, not a scholar or a true patriot...
Fucken' speakerheads, that just regurgitate what the TV & Internet tells them...
IMO it's not fact based, it's ideologically driven,
the text books are not like, what we used between 1966-1978
now since 2008-ish they changed our history to be soft,
some PC BS, to fit an agenda {politics usually} not the facts/truth...

Liberal Corruption nobody doing anything about it.jpg

IMO & what I saw with my kids
it's changed even history has been changed & rewritten
by whom ever was in power when they were in grammar school

Liberal college want free college -Earn It- a young soldier.png

I hope they see the light, I wish they do well
I fear some don't care, or are too disenfranchised
'to give a rats ***', I just hope parents wake up &
not have multiple generations of these types of kids

Albert Einstein Technology fears creation of idiots.jpg

sorry if the truth or facts hurts a few millennial fragile feelings
or some Negative Nancy Trolls get all upset because I pointed them out...
The generations before me, did it to me too...

Last edited:
I apologize if I misread the previous statements. But your right I do care. I’m also a home owner at age 29. I started with my tire company 4 years ago as a roadside tire tech. Today I’m a white collar outside salesmen with a company car a livable salary and a healthy commission package. I was able to make those moves because of the way I was able to use the technology in place far better than my older counterparts. The world is changing and with it the values must change. No longer is it the guy who grinds the hardest that makes the biggest moves. It’s the guy that’s smart enough to do the job better and more efficiently. It’s not the guy who puts his 20 years in that becomes the manager. It’s the guy who’s smart and adaptable enough to keep the company moving forward. While you are correct that the skills are different, surviving in this world is also very different than it was for boomers. The world is more cutthroat and Trust is almost non existent. I don’t know if I like it but I know I have to live with it.
I don't hate your generation. Not my point. My point was made for me by your statements of how things have changed in the current world and how you deal with them. My other point is that while the vast majority of young people in Western nations are like you, the people in the 2nd and 3rd world nations are not, and they will hate you for it. All of the computer literacy and software manipulation skills in the world will not protect the nation from 5th century savages. Some of you will have to step up.

Hec, they don't even teach cursive in public school's anymore. Kids can't write their own name. It's interesting this came up. As earlier today i was thinking about how fortunate i am to be able to ask members here for helpful insight during my build. Most of it is valuable info that you just can't google. At least not easily.
It's knowledge passed down & learned from trial & error. In my case- a lot of error.
I belong to a local gym. When i go in, i see young people wearing headphones ( to deter people from speaking to them ) and avoiding eye contact with others. Then i see older people on tredmills talking face to face. I feel like an unwelcome stranger in public anymore. A leftover from a different time.
Agree with most of that except the last part.
A lot of that still depends on what part of the world you're in, I think. When I left the urban life in the mid-90's and went back to God's country down here,
it was a shock at first at how total strangers would strike up conversations with me, all the way down to the lady working the counter
at the gas-n-go on midnight shift.
Folks down here are still very social, at least the middle-aged on ups are. You WILL talk with them, they don't allow snobbery. :)
It's right up my alley because I'm like that, too. I lost my reservations when I came down here and can talk to about anyone now.
It's so freeing, it really is.
Freaks out the young ones, too.
Like you said, they're so into their electronic devices that when someone like me comes along and insists on communicating, they
look like deer caught in the headlights. :)

As Ghost alludes to, it's truly sad to see entire generations being lost to devices - and we all know that ultimately won't work.

Auto Transport Service
Back