• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The gold star pendent

Jeff Baker

Local time
1:33 PM
Reaction score
Im redoing my 1966 Ply satellite, I was taking all the chrome to a guy to get it all polished and repaired and i noticed that i only have one gold pentastar on the passenger fender. Seem to me that it should be on both sides. so is it suppose to one or Two

s-l1000.jpg

nope, they only put it on the passenger side, so you would see it while walking on the sidewalk when the car was parked. Again Ma Mopar was trying to saving some money!!!

Did you know that at one point they didn’t install a pentastar on the fenders because they were being stolen and were installed at the dealerships using a factory supplied template…. Just a FYI.

Only on the passenger's side, so that when you pass another car, they know a Mopar passed them.

read this year ago

Chrysler’s Five-Pointed Star

Chrysler’s Pentastar logo, created by the Lippincott & Marguiles design firm in the early 1960s, was selected from among over 800 other designs. According to its creator Robert Stanley, he wanted “something simple, a classic, dynamic but stable shape for a mark that would lend itself to a highly designed, styled product…We wanted something people could look at and say, ‘This was not done freehand.'”

This five-point star within a pentagon was used for Chrysler’s corporate identity to visually present the company to the public. It first appeared in company documents and advertisements before being subtly emblazoned on the passenger-side fender of Chrysler models to subconsciously attract attention. By 1981, all Chrysler divisions used the Pentastar exclusively–before it began being phased out in the 1990s to differentiate brand identities.

Chrysler_Pentastar_1962.png

Most people recognize the pentagon for its five triangles. However, contrary to popular belief, these five “slices” did not represent the five company brands–Chrysler, Imperial, Plymouth, Dodge, and Dodge Trucks. In reality, Chrysler had numerous other brands that sold vehicles at that time–including Valiant, Hillman, Sunbean, and Singer–and the logo’s designers deny that interpretation.

So where do we get this idea? Blame Bob Hope’s variety show. The 1962 program was sponsored by the Chrysler Corporation and featured a graphic that labeled each logo segment with a different brand name. To this day, that interpretation persists. However, the creators only added the star to break apart the solid geometric shape, creating “certain tension and a dynamic quality.”

And did ya notice in later years GM put their logo on the lower front fenders?
Who was the head of GM then? Former Chrysler exec Bob Lutz.

Thanks for all the info, i learn something new today so it is a good day.

Did you know that at one point they didn’t install a pentastar on the fenders because they were being stolen and were installed at the dealerships using a factory supplied template…. Just a FYI.
did not know that.

Some time later they brought back the emblem; my 1995 neon had the pentastar on the passenger fender.

I put one on both sides to befuddle the “experts”

Auto Transport Service
Back