• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The hot tub saga. Don't do it.

SteveSS

Local time
12:56 PM
Reaction score
I love hot tubs, I really do. Bubbling away looking at the stars or out in a snowstorm, it's the best. But here's my story. We have a pretty large concrete rear porch. Hey, why not get a hot tub? Why not get a big one? So we do. The first thing we have to have an electrician run a 220V line from the other end of the house to the deck. Then we pay to get the tub installed. It's all great. We see our electric bills skyrocket from keeping the water temperature at 100 degrees all the time even with a heavy insulated cover. Electronics on the tub go wrong from time to time and we're using it less and less. Finally, a couple of years go by and the cover is falling apart and I'm ready to just get rid of it but how.

Those junk haulers cost a fortune but I have a pickup with a low deck trailer, I can do this. I bust out the chainsaw but that wasn't really working. I post an ad on our local Nextdoor for 4 strong guys but nobody can get four people together.

The light bulb goes off. I've got 3 strong guys coming over for Easter. We tumble the thing onto the trailer and I take it to the dump transfer station today. I tip the attendant and we tumble it off. $63 and I asked, it was 630 pounds. Take my advice, don't get a hot tub.

In researching these 20+ years ago, this was exactly the type of comments I was reading online. I remember reading that one possible solution was to disconnect the electric heater and installing a separate natural gas pool heater. I never actually when thru with buying one because after I finally did buy my unbelievably overpriced house in kommiefornia, it quickly dawned on me I was going to be near penniless for the next 20 years.

How’s that 69 Charger 383 that won’t start, any progress?

I bought one 18 years ago for my wife. We’re on the third cover and I can do all my own repair work myself. I love it still. My wife uses it about 6 times a year, but I’m in it about every other day.
A1E314F5-C5C3-45C3-8962-4BC6C7A2BEE9.jpeg
8B1E769E-FA11-4DA8-91E4-A337EB2E78C9.png

It is a great way to jump start a stale sex life. All I can say is "Jets".

Had a nice big one years ago. After about 10 years, it lost its "allure" so to speak. Had it hauled away, it was still in great condition.

We bought one in 1989, hexagon, basic bench seats, 6-8 people. Have it at the lake. We can go to the cabin at -20F fill it and have 101F overnight. When we leave we drain it. Summer we just shut off the power when we leave, turn it back on when we return. We still enjoy it. Didn’t get back to the lake to enjoy it this winter.

Wife wanted a pool and of course the kids said "we'll take care of it" and I'm thinking yeah right just like you take care of everything else y'all got. Glad now I didn't get one because I'm the only one here now and I don't feel like taking care of one....or a hot tub.

We had one for a number of years. The biggest problem was when I got out of it my joints all seized up and I couldn't walk up or down a flight of stairs !!

I love hot tubs, I really do. Bubbling away looking at the stars or out in a snowstorm, it's the best. But here's my story. We have a pretty large concrete rear porch. Hey, why not get a hot tub? Why not get a big one? So we do. The first thing we have to have an electrician run a 220V line from the other end of the house to the deck. Then we pay to get the tub installed. It's all great. We see our electric bills skyrocket from keeping the water temperature at 100 degrees all the time even with a heavy insulated cover. Electronics on the tub go wrong from time to time and we're using it less and less. Finally, a couple of years go by and the cover is falling apart and I'm ready to just get rid of it but how.

Those junk haulers cost a fortune but I have a pickup with a low deck trailer, I can do this. I bust out the chainsaw but that wasn't really working. I post an ad on our local Nextdoor for 4 strong guys but nobody can get four people together.

The light bulb goes off. I've got 3 strong guys coming over for Easter. We tumble the thing onto the trailer and I take it to the dump transfer station today. I tip the attendant and we tumble it off. $63 and I asked, it was 630 pounds. Take my advice, don't get a hot tub.
Spoken like a guy who moved to Colorado from Kansas. Way to contribute to the landfills. :thumbsup:

People are still coming up with ideas on the 383. Still trying things. Lots of new parts. Nothing helps.

Been in Colorado for 22 years now. I guess a landfill is a landfill wherever it is. I've been to the dump here in Colorado Springs it's out east. What most don't realize is if you go 20 miles east of the city the land is a high plains wasteland. There's not enough water for crops, not enough grass for livestock. When the wind blows it's like getting sandblasted. The land is dirt cheap because it's mainly worthless. About the only thing that survives is a few antelope.

high.jpg

Had more than a few friends that had these. After the “newness” wears off, most of the time they get shitcanned

Freaking Science Experiment... WTH is living in that thing.... No Thanks!

Lop we just got one wife had to have it..already regrets...ugh

Years ago, I helped a buddy reinforce his 2nd story deck, and build a screen porch on it. All to contain his new hot tub. Family excited about it! Went back to visit a year or so later. The hot tub was turned off, and the cover was basically being used as a big table for folding laundry, etc.
My sister and her husband had a hot tub installed on the back of their new home while it was being built. This is a high dollar neighborhood on steep hillsides. A few years later, they decided to get rid of the unused hot tub. Had to hire a commercial crane and rigging company to lift it up and over their house for disposal. Cost more to get rid of the tub than the original purchase price....

Auto Transport Service
Back