• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official B/RB Short-Block Leak Free Thread

CompSyn

Local time
11:53 PM
Reaction score
themechanic already addressed the rear main seal with The Official Rear Main Seal replacement thread - LINK

In an effort to not hijack that thread as it relates to the rear main seal, I'd like to open up conversation with regard to all the other gasket and seal areas of the short-block B/RB motor in an attempt to have it all condensed in one thread. Soon, I'll be assembling my 383 so if possible I'd like to avoid as many potential leaks in the future.

So, what are your specific tricks and tips for sealing up the short-block? What products do you prefer as it relates to seals, gaskets, sealants, gasket makers, ect? Where do you apply sealant and where do you NOT apply it? Some of this info may be trivial to some but new info to others. Also, there may be more than one way to get the job done. I know you will all will be respectful of everyone's suggestions.

Areas of discussion:

1) Oil Pan and with Windage Tray
2) Timing Cover - gaskets and seal
3) Fuel Pump
4) Oil Pump
5) Distributor
6) Water Pump - Housing and Pump
7) Oil pressure tap (back of block)
8) Freeze plugs and Oil Galley plugs
9) Other?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Before using any sealer, on anything, clean clean clean! Everyone has their own likes and dislikes as far as sealers but I've found they'll almost all work good with squeaky clean surfaces. I have great results with mineral spirits until the surface is clean, then denatured alcohol to get the mineral spirit residue clean. I always wear clean latex gloves to keep sweat and skin oils off..

first and foremost, DO NOT overtighten and bend sheet metal. make sure your bolt holes in sheet metal are flat before installing. I personally prefer jb weld ultra grey gasket sealer. my 440 doesn't leak one drop.

A two piece timing cover is a nice addition for future cam access and then you don't have to pull your oil pan. A quality pan with a thick flange will save you a lot of headaches. Remember that quality is remembered long after price is forgotten. Don't go cheap or rush anything. Clean everything like you are performing surgery and you should be good to go!

When using sealer. If the sealer can be smeared (very light coat) and it sticks to the metal the parts are clean. If it roll off the parts are dirty. White teflon paste on intake bolts and threaded galley plugs. A little dab of RTV on the upper corners of the head gasket when installing the heads. This will prevent seepage at the corner of the valley. Intake gaskets dry, no sealer.
Doug

I have become a HUGE fan (thanks to my grand pop) of Indian head, sometimes called aviation cement.
Just a small light smear on one side of paper gasket.

Auto Transport Service
Back