• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The One I Loved Back Then Is Home

68BabyBlue

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:42 AM
Reaction score
Thanks to all of you who provided input when I had the opportunity to realize this dream from 52 years ago. For those of you who haven't seen the story, I test drove a new '69 GTX the week before my 17th birthday. It was the heavily optioned family car of Bill and Julie Clark, who owned the dealership in State College, PA, where I grew up. They kept it for 15 years, during which time I tried to buy it, first when I graduated from Penn State, and later, Law School. The Clarks told me to buy Baby Blue instead, the '68 GTX I owned for many years. By chance, I located the Dealer Demonstrator 20 years ago. Last Thursday, I finally drove her home.
GTX Home.jpg

Last edited:
That’s it ? Just one picture ?! Go out there and post at least ten lol congrats

That’s it ? Just one picture ?! Go out there and post at least ten lol congrats
There well be a horde of them coming when my G70 red line tires finally arrive - along with '68 style, dealer installed chrome magnum 500s. Car came from the factory with red steelies and poverty caps. Snow tires went on the steelies, and red lines on the magnums after the dealer's son burned up the original Goodyear Speedway white lines in a matter of months.

Love this story! Beautiful car, I can’t wait to see more pics!

Thanks to all of you who provided input when I had the opportunity to realize this dream from 52 years ago. For those of you who haven't seen the story, I test drove a new '69 GTX the week before my 17th birthday. The car was the heavily optioned family car of the Plymouth dealer in State College, PA, where I grew up, and now live today. They kept it for 15 years, during which time I tried to buy it, first when I graduated from Penn State, and later, Law School. The Clark family told me to buy Baby Blue instead, the '68 GTX I owned for many years. By chance, I located the Dealer Demonstrator 20 years ago, and have been trying to buy the car ever since. Last Thursday, I finally drove her home.View attachment 1368709.
Forgive me, but who are the Clark’s in this story? Very interesting story.

Love this story! Beautiful car, I can’t wait to see more pics!
I have a professional photographer lined up to do retro black and whites in downtown State College. He is one three classmates who attend car shows as a group. Hopefully we can get enough empty spaces to stage our old stuff so it looks authentic.

Congrats on getting the deal done and the car in your garage. What did you decide to do with your Hemi car? If I was in your shoes, I would be keeping both of them.

Congrats on getting the deal done and the car in your garage. What did you decide to do with your Hemi car? If I was in your shoes, I would be keeping both of them.
The Hemi went to a fellow FBBO member. I loved the car, but I'm at the point in life where I'm trying to scale back on multiple fronts.

That’s it ? Just one picture ?! Go out there and post at least ten

Yeah I agree what gives, boooo. In all seriousness though, a big congratulations to you for getting your dream car after all these years! I'm looking forward to seeing more pictures

Love this story!!!! Cars mean little to me, It's always the story that brings the car to life, as far as I'm concerned. Congratulations and Thanks for sharing!!!

Yeah I agree what gives, boooo. In all seriousness though, a big congratulations to you for getting your dream car after all these years! I'm looking forward to seeing more pictures
I will get more posted shortly. I am dying a slow death waiting for the stuff to come in so she will look exactly like back in the day. IMO the car is totally awesome, I want the pictures to do justice. Some teasers - only 7000 miles after being sold to first registered owner in 1983. Nut and bolt restoration by last owner before me, all NOS parts, with exception of windshield, and driver's side quarter window. Mirrors are NOS with correct date codes. Grille, headlight bezels, tail light bezels, and trunk finish panel are restored OEM. NOS quarter panels, trunk floor, trunk inners, and outer wheel housings, wheel well trim, and side trim. Original 4640 AVS carb, manifolds, brake booster, master cylinder, and bendix front disc brakes. Original radiator, water pump housing, matching numbers radiator core support, trunk lip, engine, and transmission. Power windows, six way seat, cold factory A/C. Broadcast sheet, original window sticker, dealer factory invoice. Title history of all registered owners (two). Titles document 57,000 actual miles. All components function as new, no change whatever from that test drive in September of l970.

Last edited:
Engine compartment is completely stock. This is my first GTX with orange accents on the air cleaner pie tin, all my other cars had red. This one is an early build from Lynch Road, wondering if that would determine the color. But might have been a Bill Clark add on, like the magnums with chrome rims, rather than trim rings. Valve covers are direct connection pieces, might have also been added by the dealer prior to sale, but unlike the other additions, I don't have documentation.

Demo Engine.jpg

Last edited:
Bare bones racer and all out luxury machine. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, almost identical on the outside. Demonstrator on top, my former 4-speed at bottom.

Demo frt.jpg

IMG_2276.JPG

appears to be a great, solid, 'honest' car

Congrats Minions.gif

Auto Transport Service
Back