• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The orange ignitionbox what does it do ?

Mikke H

Local time
6:34 AM
Reaction score
Im trying to lokate a missfire in my system and just wondering what does the box do ?

Besides die........lol. It controls your ignition spark. Usually they will either work or not and not cause a missfire but I am not saying it isn't possible. They discontinued those boxes a while back, so if you replace it, shoot for a rev-n-nator or a FBO box from Don. Both are high quality boxes with rev limiters and function much better than the Mopar units did. If you want to prove it out, you can get a factory replacement from NAPA or somewhere for $40 bucks before you drop the coin on the bigger money units. Then you will have a spare for your glove box to use if that is the case. Here is a wiring schematic for it if you need it.

4600106-moparecu.jpg

It's essentially an amplifier for the pickup coil in the distributor which fires the ignition coil.
I had one fail at high RPM (over 4,000). Took all summer to figure it out, once a month I would get an hour to work on the car when I had young kids.
Yes they generally just die.

becarefull with this diagram showing the yellow wire to ballast. Thats only for LATES 70s Mopars with Starter relays designed to feed this ( not anymore brown wire coming out from ign key to bypass ballast )

Yes yes good catch Nacho! Thanks for the clarification on that. Haven't messed with one in a good year and a half or so so I missed the color being off. Luckily mine hasn't **** the bed recently.
:thumbsup:

there are wiring harness issues too. one might think they have a faulty box and the problem is somewhere else. reluctor to magnet rubbing can cause issues.

A lousy HEI wiring diagram but you can figure it out, using small tab on module. Posted a second diagram but 3 wires from dist, ford?
hei.JPG
HEI WIRING.JPG

Besides die........lol. It controls your ignition spark. Usually they will either work or not and not cause a missfire but I am not saying it isn't possible. They discontinued those boxes a while back, so if you replace it, shoot for a rev-n-nator or a FBO box from Don. Both are high quality boxes with rev limiters and function much better than the Mopar units did. If you want to prove it out, you can get a factory replacement from NAPA or somewhere for $40 bucks before you drop the coin on the bigger money units. Then you will have a spare for your glove box to use if that is the case. Here is a wiring schematic for it if you need it.

View attachment 750522

If the OP goes the route of a new FBO box, DO NOT forget to ground the jumper included or you risk ruining the unit and use the recommended coil as well. Here it is mounted in the upper left of the attached picture

0202181742.jpg

I went thru a low rpm mis-fire in my r/t. might have been the harness but I couldn't for sure pin it down. stripped the electronics out and went back to points; problem solved. car never ran so smooth!

View attachment 750522
You know it's funny. I've never had an issue with these boxes? I've never tried to put a higher RPM build to them either. Typically gone MSD route. But to throw my 2 cents? 3 for 3 with stock B-bodies.

You know it's funny. I've never had an issue with these boxes? I've never tried to put a higher RPM build to them either. Typically gone MSD route. But to throw my 2 cents? 3 for 3 with stock B-bodies.

I was in the same boat....I have a chrome box from the early nineties on my Roadrunner and its performed flawless to this day. I noticed the problems just a few years back when I had two orange and one chrome box all purchased more recent take a **** on me. Then I find out Mopar discontinued them after tons of complaints.....go figure.

:thumbsup:

Auto Transport Service
Back