• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"The Question" You know, you've been asked....

steve817

Local time
9:47 AM
Reaction score
This last weekend, I ran into a colleague of mine while watching my daughter play basketball. We exchanged "hi's" and "hows it going".....as typical, then parted ways. After the game and on our way out of the building, I noticed that he and his wife were behind us and headed toward our/their car. Then it happened!!! The Question.... "Why are you driving an old car"! Well, we have heard this question before and after a short pause, my reply was "because it's easy to spot in the parking lot". From my experience, there are two categories of people who take notice of me and my Mopars
1. They don't understand and actually feel sorry for me that I have to drive such "horrible" and "old" cars.
2. They do understand and provide a nod, smile, wave, thumbs up, gesture or something that states "wow, thanks for bringing that car out". What's your story? IMG_7139.jpg

Man that is a great looking car. Auto or 4-speed?

I always tell people that we are recycling by driving vintage iron. In general I am convinced that they don't mean anything disingenuous by asking. One funny side effect that has happened more that once was friends and acquaintances seeing us walking to the store on a nice day and stopping to give us a ride.......because they assume our old car broke down. Each and every one of them seemed confused when we explained that it is pretty normal to take a stroll on a nice day.

Then there is the assumption that we are wealthy because we have old cars...as if they built themselves overnight lol.

it's economical

I often respond with the fact that it's been driven daily for 5 years and that including purchase price, I've got a total of $4200 invested in the car. That's less than payments on a new car, & difference in cost of gas mileage. It's easy to maintain is a fun hobby.WP_20141018_09_18_00_Pro.jpg

Never been asked why I drive an old car

Actually the question/comment I've had most of all is " neat car ... when are you going to fix it up? "

or

" Did you know there some rust right here ? " or rust is replaced by 'dent, missing, tear, etc "

Never was asked that but I was flying to Atlanta, GA and the lady sitting next to me kept looking at my jeans. I was wearing an old pair of jeans that are very comfortable but they have repaired 20 times or more. When we were leaving the plane she said I am giving you 20 dollars to buy some new jeans, I was taken back but responded I need 40 more dollars. She actually gave me another 40 dollars. The guy behind me came up to me and asked me but that was all about; I told him and we had a good laugh. I was actually pissed, I could afford a plane fare but not clothes.

Never been asked why I drive one.
Just asked if I want to sell it, all the time.

Attachments

• al-bundy-dodge-dart.jpg
    al-bundy-dodge-dart.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 333
I think the funniest thing that happens all the time is some yo yo in a Hyundai passing me and cutting me off like my old car can't keep up with their "new" a/c car. What a riot when I ease pass them again, smiling as if they are going too slowly.

Oh yeah, people are always wanting to buy my original looking old car from me. UNTIL I SUGGEST A PRICE!

Not very often but it has come up. I just say it's because I can't afford a new one and if I could, still wouldn't buy one. Actually, it depends on who is asking and how they ask it. If they are talking down to me then they get the 'you wanna race your junk against mine' line. It usually shuts them up. Just got to get my junk back on the road!

My resopnce is "I am a non conformist, and will never be politically correct!!!"
I also feel the same as others. "My junk is paid for.How much you still owe on that BMW??"

I've been asked this question only 1 time.. and it was from my now wife (who said her Pontiac sunfire was a cooler car), and my answer was simple: How many times have people come up to you in your Sunfire while you were pumping gas and told you about memories of cars they or their family used to have? How many times have people waved or given you a thumbs up in your sunfire today?

Hell, I got thumbs up when my 66 Belvedere was in primer with black and blue splotches on it lol (the blue is it's original color). My 95 Dakota is my yard cart, parts chaser, beater that just won't quit running and the paint is coming off too and I get asked why do I keep driving such an ugly loud truck (it has a straight pipe on it too :D). Well, for one, no one is going to steal it and another, people do not bother me out on the freeways because they think I don't give a damn about it and am willing to swap paint at the drop of the hat. Usually get a blank stare after that but it's true! lol

Gosh steve...
That is "SAD"
I wonder if it has anything to do with demographics?
I live in So Cal...lots of "old cars" on the road.

My brother actually started making fun of my 2000 Dakota after he bought a 2013 frontier.

He was baiting me about the HP rating so he could tell me his had more.

I told him I hoped 13 years of technological advancement should offer better power and economy, then I asked him how much his payment was and when it would be paid off, and he shut up.

My wife (among others) doesn't understand why I prefer driving something even as ho hum as a 79 Volare Wagon (former work car) instead of getting a company paid rental (mini van/car).
If they have to ask, they just won't get it.

My answer would plain and simple be "for fun"

My daily drivers are more utilitarian then the Coronet is meant to be...the Ram is my haul everything/family road trip/drive through anything vehicle. The Avenger is my keep the kids safe, get great gas mileage, drive in the rain vehicle. Though I wish I had the Avenger paid off....anybody want to donate some free money? haha

I used to get the question a lot when I had my torino.

I guess folks just couldn't look past the (then) 20 year old styling to see that it had shiny paint, nearly zero rust, a perfect interior, and a factory shaker hood.

A lot of these people thought mid 80's camaros were much nicer by comparison.

Whatever.

My neighbor lady once told me "I don't get why you are always driving or working on those old cars". I told her "I don't get why you would spend months on end making a quilt when you can buy a nice blanket at the store". She hasn't mentioned it since.

Auto Transport Service
Back