• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The repop master cylinder / booster assys question

gtx6970

Local time
9:33 AM
Reaction score
Anyone used one of these repop booster master cyl assys.
My recent purchase 66 has manual disc brakes conversion. and Im just not confident in how it stops
Thinking about upgrading to power discs instead
https://www.ebay.com/itm/232741297550?

Does the car stop w manual disc brakes? The only difference between power and manual is leg pressure. If you are not confident in your legs strength, then definitely go power.

Does the car stop w manual disc brakes? The only difference between power and manual is leg pressure. If you are not confident in your legs strength, then definitely go power.
Yes, but it sure seems to have a lot of travel before it does. Simply far to much travel to make me feel comfortable.
Enough it didnt give me a warm fuzzy feeling it would stop in a panic situation

Pedal felt like one with air in the system,,,,but it does not pump up like one would if it did .
I would expect on manual brakes a solid pedal ,,,,,like on manual drum brake car. It stops and will stand you on your nose if you push hard enough.

A friends car is the same and he said I would get used to it.

My girls will be driving this car more so than I will . And good brakes are mandatory.
So ,,,,,. I bought one of the booster / master cyl assys saturday.

I would suggest the master cylinder. My '67 has a front disc conversion from Dr Diff. 15/16" master cylinder. It took many attempts, going around the entire car w flare nut wrench and just cracking and resealing all the brake fittings and adding residual pressure valves to front and rear brake lines. My brake is solid from about 1/2" from the top. My daughter who weighs 95lbs can stop it easily. It sounds like the wrong master cylinder or push rod or combo.

I have not tried the pedal on @gtx6970 car, but I suspect he has the Dr Diff 15/16 manual. It took me a year to get used to the LONG travel.

If all goes well, I will have the master cylinder off it this weekend. and will ck the bore size.
Something just didnt feel right in the pedal . And brakes are kind of important

I've ordered the above kit to convert to a more correct looking master cylinder with new booster pkg

I have the driveshaft out of it right now to be ckd and balanced so any test drives are out of the question till later in the week anyway.

My Coronet has power brakes and my girls like it much better compared to my other 66 which is 11" manual drums . Wife said make this one right or girls aint driving it .

Auto Transport Service
Back