• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Runner that started it all

wingcarenvy

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:05 PM
Reaction score
So, everyone here has a car that started it all for you. I would love to hear about everyones story about "the car" that left the imprint that makes every one of us sick in the head for these four wheeled wonders. Here is my story, it has a cool twist in the end.

Ok, it was the summer of 1980 I think and my dad comes home to tell us that we have to leave our home, as I knew it at 7 years old anyways, and move to a new place. He had gotten a promotion at the post office, long time coming, the catch was we had to move. Now this was the worst news for me as I didnt want to make new friends, I liked the ones I had thanks. As it comes time for us to move I am informed that my dad had purchased a new ride for a new toy in celebration of his promotion. It was a yellow 1968 roadrunner. Never heard of it, I was already a car buff and was learning the ropes of all the different cars and had already latched onto the musclecar thing. Now my dad had already pumped me up with stories of his 68 GTS with a 383 (the worlds greatest motor in his opinion) with its 4 spd that he had ordered new from Glendale Dodge when he came back from Viet Nam. But I digress, so here I am trying to figure out what the hell a Roadrunner is and all I can picture is a 74ish Dart! Well the day come for our big move and after we get settled in we head over to Daves house, his new boss, and pull up to the curb to what had to been the center of all things Mopar (didnt know what that was...yet). I mean, he had 2 71 Hemi Cudas, an orange drop top 440 challenger, a green 69 charger 500 with a Hemi, Yellow 6 pack Superbird, 2 T/As one blue/one orange, his original owner 70 Roadrunner 383, 69 Superbee with a Hemi (which by the way was in Car Craft real street eliminator 2 and was the only auto in the place!), the lone Phord a 67 GT500 shelby with a 428 and 2 fours, and a lowly Sunfire yellow 68 Runner with Torquethrusts on it backed sideways in the approach to the driveway. My life forever changed. We piled into the runner and took here home. When we got home my dad and I went for a little cruise, and WOW I have never been sideways in a car before and this moster could do it on command in the first 2 gears. Every little noise from the whine in the gear box in the lower gears to tink it made when it was cooling down after a thorough pounding was stuck in my head forever. I think that car got more wax than a candle factory from me during the next five years. That car was religeously washed weekly and waxed monthly by me, lovingly. My parents didnt really understand the infatuation, I would bug my dad about changing the oil and hung on every move during the process. I saved every penny I earned from my paper route and odd jobs over the years knowing that the day would come and I wanted to be ready to buy it fair and square from my parents as they werent in the habit of giving things away. I even had to buy my own bikes and such over the years and did so frugally so as to not cut into the roadrunner fund. OK so I liked this thing, I think thats an understatement! Fast forward, I am 12 now and my dipsh*t brothers are of driving age. Well my parents were smart enough to not give them this rolling freight train of a car and decided to sell it. Heres my chance, so I approach them with caution and present to them the bank book revealing to them that I had saved enough money to pay their asking price of $2500. Well lets just say that my dad actually laughed outloud. The answer was NO! See I was a responsible kid and never got into trouble and worked hard so that I could stay under the radar and generally do whatever I wanted. Well the car went into the Autotrader and multiple people came to see the car. They would him and haw and low ball my dad and each time he would complain about it to my mom I would humbly offer him the $2500. Well some nice guy came along and bought it for his son (thanks dad) as a graduation gift. Hell of a guy. I remember that day as well very well. So well that I wrote the guys name, city he lived in and the license number down (like I didnt have that memorized). Anyways the cars gone, long gone just a memory and a dream to one day own a 68 runner. 2 years later I bought, unbeknownst to my parents, a 68 Dart which I still own to this day. When we dragged it home, thanks to my brother who was always there for me, my dad went through the roof. He took a look at it and I could see that he actually liked it and kinda wished he never sold his. Under the hood was a wounded 273, which pleased my old man and he allowed it only if I kept the 273 as the 273 never could be made fast. True to my word I made him eat his as the little 273 pushed that car into the 13s. Oh well, the 68 runner never left my though and I still dreamt of the day a 68 would come my way, our old 68 would be the best scenario. By now I am out of high school and free of my old man and his "you cant do that" attitude, life goes on and I get to work as a mechanic at the local gas station and a few years go by and a few Roadrunner go by but none fill the void and I find myself daydreaming of that sunfire yellow monster. The search begins. I still had the scratch piece of paper and I get one of my cop buddies, actually its the cop that wrote me many tickets in my Dart and its 3 inch flowmasters, to run the plate number and it comes up with an address and that its non-op status. So I did what any crazed maniac would do, I loaded up my good friend in my truck and we roadtrip 3 hours to go find the address and knock on the door only to find that the address is actually a p.o. box. Dead end, this goes on 2 more times. My dreams crushed and I gave up and realized that it hadnt been registered in ten years and I came to the realization that it probably had been wrecked and or parted out. Bummer, collosal bummer. This May I am at my bachelor party and one of my cop buddies, that I made when we moved to Orange County, asked about the Runner since he knew it well too. I said I think its dead and gone but I still have the info and I hadnt run the plates in 5 years or so. He calls me one night and asked for the plate number and he would run it. Well it came up currently registered! So I did a Zabba search of the guys name and city and got his address. I wait about 10 seconds before I found myself at his house. Worried, I kinda felt like a stalker and all but my intentions were innocent enough right? I pondered for awhile and decided that I would just go up and knock on his door. Knock knock, I wonder who will answer and will they be mad at me, well it was his dad and I remember his face even though it had been 24 years. I told him my story and asked if his son still had the runner. He said that his son gave it back to him when he lost his license after too many tickets. I asked if the car was there and could I see it? Well no, see it was at his other kids house stored in the garage. We talked for a few hours and laughed at what lengths I went to find him. Well all in all we became friends, and he was glad that I found him. We parted ways and exchanged numbers promising to get together soon to have a reunion of sorts. Yesterday I went to his house to help him work on his El Camino and see my long lost friend. I have to say that he took decent care of it, as soon as I turned the corner there it sat and immediately I knew I had found my long lost friend. I took a few minutes to check her out and say hello and remember all the good times that I was fortunate to have. We got to work on the Camino and got it running then it was off to the local Fuddruckers for a burger, it was the weekly cruise night. After a nice visit and few more calories for my spare tire we set to drive back to his house. He tosses me the keys and I politely tell him no thats okay even though I really want to go for a cruise under my heavy right foot. He insisted and told me that wasnt an option. Well I take up residence behind the wheel of the car that I had last driven 24 years ago. See my dad is an alcoholic and would sometimes, more like verytime, drink too much and then have no way home. At least he didnt drink and drive, soo that left me the 12 year old to drive the runner home. WooHoo thats when I learned to drive, well it escalated to me stealing it when my parents would leave on vacation to vegas. My old man also had a gambling problem, I bet you guys are getting a feeling of how much I like him, oh well they would go to vegas and I would exercise the runner on saturday nights for them! We had some good times, now back to it we drove towards the house and he asked me if I wanted cruise some more and who am I to tell him no? After about an hour of running it around the beautiful hills of South Orange County at dusk we get home. We say our good buys and I head home a very happy guy and feeling good that someone had taken care of my friend.

I know this has been a long rant and I am going to reward you with some pics. Now there is alot more to this story and if you guys want to hear it let me know and I will post it. Well enjoy the pics and this is how it all started for me.

DSC03152.jpg

DSC03125.jpg

DSC03149.jpg

DSC03150.jpg

DSC03151.jpg

DSC03153.jpg

Runner

Great story,it is funny how us guys can be so passionate about our CARS!!!
When ever my old friends and I get together,the first word uddered usually is remmember that 66 or 69 car that so and so had,my wife just shakes her head.
My first mopar,68 hemi runner,I lived in St Paul,drove to Milwakee picked it up,had been a race car(,Bean Field Express),custom painted,all the stuff that was done in the day- spiderwebing, metalflak-candy color,diamond dust,it was a thing of beauty in the sun,unfortuately it met it's end at Arbys parkig lot,after a girl driving a 427 Impla came out Mc Donalds accross the street got on it next thing we knew she had fished tailed and jumped the curbed hit the runner board side totalling out the car,one side was pushed in big time the other side looked beautifull,none the less it was totaled,at the time the body shop said it just would not be worth it to fix the car-but if A GUY KNEW THE VALUE'S WERE GOING TO BE WHAT THEY ARE TO DAY,i WOULD HAVE KEPT IT FORSURE,I DID KEEP MANY OF THE PARTS BUT STILL???
All in the life of a car guy!!!
Bill

wingcar ; What a story...please tell us what happened. I hope it's a happy ending with the car in your garage where it always belonged.
gearhead ; You can console yourself that your loss increased the value of all the other survivors. Thanks man.
These stories would be appreciated at earlyplymouths.com too. It's a new site looking for members.

very cool story, and I hope you get her back

Ok...it's 1976 and I had been tossed out of college for spending to much time sleeping on someone else's stomach (instead of going to class lol) and was the asst. mgr. at the fanciest movie house in town. Every day I'd putt to work in my 65 Dart 4 door with a 170 leaning tower of power and an auto, and every Friday night I had to take mail to the post office downtown for the theater. On that trip to the post office I had to pass Wild Bill's Chrysler Plymouth, not once but TWICE.

One fateful Friday night as I was motoring the mail past Wild Bills I happened to notice a T5 bronze beauty sitting in the first spot in the front row.....right up front under the lights. So I hurry to the P.O. and back so I can pull in to have a look. And as I start to turn in I think to myself "wow it's a shame it's not a road runner" (thinking they all had hood stripes) And as I slowly pass the car I discover "WOW...it IS a road runner". So I park and start to walk up from behind......noticing the bench seat and thinking "it's a shame it's not a.....FOUR SPEED" as I see the shifter come in to view.

So the next day (Saturday) I go and drive the runner. SWEETNESS! I have to have it. So I talk to my parents about it and would you believe the next day....Sunday....in Wild Bill's ad is the runner at a price lower than what they had to me while I was there the day before. (can't blame them for that) Anyway, my grandmother says she will loan me the money to buy the car (pending my father's approval of the car) and Monday pop and I go to the dealership.

At this point I was concerned cause pop was in to Packards and really didn't understand runners or vettes or anything of the ilk. But to my surprise he decides he likes it, negotiates a spare for the car (it was missing) and the deal was done! And later that very October day, as I was out cruising in my kickass new road runner, I mashed the loud pedal and split the heater core wide open spilling nassy red water all over my lovely black carpet.

Stranded with no tools I knocked on a couple of apartment doors looking for a screw driver. I finally found a girl getting ready for work. She said she had a screwdriver for her sewing machine and I could borrow it. Well you know how small that was, but I managed to loop the heater hoses, got some water, and cruised on back home. About a month later I finally said the heater wasn't working and replaced the core.

The bronze beauty was my daily for many happy years. Rain, snow, sex in the front seat, everything you could imagine....INCLUDING blowing the original clutch up at Green Valley Raceway when it has 88,000 miles on it. And finally in 1983 I sold it, having "moved on" to other things.

Well the "other things" didn't last long, and in 87 I bought a 69 Super Bee. And a bunch more cars later I found myself owning a sublime 70 340 Duster which (ironically) had been owned by one of the owners of my Bee. So those two cars were reunited for the second time in their lives. But one of the 3 years the Nats were in Indy, I took the Duster up there to sell.

(yall gettin bored yet?)

And while sitting next to the Duster a couple of young guys wander up and ask if it's mine. I say yes. They ask if I'm from Texas (Texas plates) and I say yes are you? They say yes "from a small town I've probably never heard of". They proceed to tell me about a copper colored runner sitting behind a guy's house in their town, but "he won't talk to anybody about sellin it."

I say....."Where did you say you live?" (getting goosebumps yet?)

They tell me the name of the lil town. I say "lemme take a stab at this. That car T5 bronze fire metallic with a cream colored vinyl top, matching bump strip down the side, and a black bench interior?" They nod. "It have factory tach, wood wheel and a 4 speed?" I think so they say. "It have an AM/8 track, air grabber and Magnum 500 wheels?" They say "you know that car?" I say "I think I SOLD him that car!"

Some months later I call this guy up and tell him who I am. He says he remembers me. I ask if he's ever considered selling the runner. He says "no.........................but I'd consider selling it back to YOU." So we talk about price and when I could come see it, and eventually I go see the car. And except for a few whiskey dents and a now missing air grabber (breather still there) the car looked the same (more or less).

Well, I didn't buy it. But about a year later when I was in Austin doing some work, as I was leaving town I see a Demon for sale and a voice in my head says "If you don't buy it back, it's gonna get away." So as soon as I got home I called they guy and said "What are ya doin this weekend?" He says "you want to come get the car?" I said yeah

That was 1998. I got her back on her feet and drove her for a while.....till the motor was to tired to play anymore. And now she sits waiting patiently for me to bring her back to the splendor and glory of that October night when I first set eyes on that beautiful bronze paint.

me and my friend are bad about that , our wives even got t-shirts that say HELP!!!! they are talking about cars and wont shut up!!!!!!dont know why they wear them to all the car shows we go to?LOL

Okay so as I stated earlier, the dad bought this runner for his son and gave it to him as a graduation gift. The son took it with him to Humbolt State college and proceeded to make mincemeat out of his driving record and kinda beating up the car with a few wrecks. The son tried to do some upkeep and mods to it only to make matters worse over time. He rebuilt the engine with 8 to 1 pistons and an "RV cam" and a 600 holley vacuum secondaries. All these mods helped to make the car have all the power of a good running 318 duster, I will tell you in a minute as to how I know that. Well the kid ended up giving the car back to his dad due to the lack of a license and job. Dad retrieved the Runner from Norcal and brought it back to Socal, stuffing it in the garage for safe keeping. This turned out to be really the single most thing that was done to the car to preserve its condition. Well 15 years goes by and the son is diagnosed with brain cancer and subsequently dies from his complications. Sadly this happened a few years ago and now the car is a sad reminder and keep sake for the families healing process. I feel like the car is where its supposed to be, although when I saw it I felt I needed to save it as I dont think the car will ever get its proper resto. It badly needs one. I told my friend that I didnt want him to pay for people to work on it anymore. I am its new keeper even though I dont own, I feel I owe it at least that. Unfortunately I dont think I will get the chance to own my car again. The other 2 kids want it if it were ever for sale, I will ask one day, when its appropriate, if there is a dollar amount that would allow me to buy. I dont want to be that guy who is a pest and constant bothering him to sell. So I am happy with the current situation and I know that at least it was never parted out, and every now and then I even get to cruise it.

I hope you guys enjoyed the story and pics. As a side note I still own my first car the 68 dart mentioned in the story. All this nostalgia has sparked some thought about my dart. I have tons of stories and memories with that car and it turns out that I really am glad that I hung onto it. Right now its in the middle of a full blown build from the ground up with a chromoly round tube back half and a twin turbo small block that has already proven itself to make well over 1000 hp! Try running that on stock suspension and a 28x10.5 slick. Been there done that but thats another story! Lets just say that I thank god I am here to tell about it!

PS thanks for sharing all your stories, lets here some more!

69 runner, cool story do you have any pics?

Sad to hear about the son's passing way before his time. No parent should have to bury one of their children.

Here's a pic or two from back in the day. This is also (I think) the only pic of the 340 Duster. It was taken by the guy my brother bought it from.

left that part of the long story out. My brother has a 70 340 Swinger and way back when he had the car repainted it's original orange. Right after it was back on the road a drunk caused a wreck, taking out the nose of the Dart. So while the Dart was getting fixed, my brother wanted something else to drive. He finds this 340 4 speed Duster and asks me to go have a look.

I drove over in a 67 Sport Fury vert I had and had a look. While talking to the guy he tells me about having owned a 69 Bee that he put the original 3.91s from the Duster in. He says "the Bee had painted quarter scoops. I've seen it at the track. It's been repainted and I don't know who owns it now.

Much like John Cleese in Silverado I say "I know who owns that Bee." So we have a good laugh, and later I tell my bro he should buy the Duster. Funny, the whole time he had it he kept saying he wished he knew what happened to the original 3.91s.:edgy: I didn't tell him until years later after I had parted with both of the cars.

T5 2.jpg

T5.jpg

Duster.jpg

shelby 1407 and bee.jpg

I have loved cars in general ever since I was 4 or 5 years old.My Grandfather was a Ford man.My Uncles has Mach 1 Mustangs,68 Olds 442's,and Trans Am's while I was growing up.At the age of 14 my father who owned Mopars in his younger days took me to a Mopar show in Indy and well I have been hooked on Mopars ever since.I bought my first Mopar at age 15 a 1968 Dodge Coronet 440 two door.I bought a 1969 Road Runner when I was 19.Bought a 1966 Charger when I was 21.Over the years I have owned many A and B Bodies and 1 C body.I usally have anywhere between 2 - 4 Mopars in the garage not counting my daily drivers.
Well I have had the Mopar sickness ever since I was 15,and yes it is a sickness.How many of you know people who have 10 or more Mopars?? I know of aleast 10 different guys that have 20 or more Mopars !! I only know 1 Chevy guy who has 20 or more Chevys.And I don't know any ford guys that have more than 10 cars....
My Uncles 68 442 did it first for me.Then my Father took me to a Mopar show in Indy when I was 14 and I fell in love with the 1966-70 Chargers,and the 1969 Road Runner.Then I was hooked on Mopar.. Jim

Last edited:
My eariest Mopar memory was when I was 10 years old 1980.One of the older kids I hung around with turned 16.He bought a 1971 Cuda 340 4 speed car.He was struck by lightning and killed a few months later.The car is still in his sisters possesion and has not been driven since 1980.The car is stored in a chicken coop.Thats is my eariest Mopar memory and I always thought it was a cool car.. Jim

Okay so as I stated earlier, the dad bought this runner for his son and gave it to him as a graduation gift. The son took it with him to Humbolt State college and proceeded to make mincemeat out of his driving record and kinda beating up the car with a few wrecks. The son tried to do some upkeep and mods to it only to make matters worse over time. He rebuilt the engine with 8 to 1 pistons and an "RV cam" and a 600 holley vacuum secondaries. All these mods helped to make the car have all the power of a good running 318 duster, I will tell you in a minute as to how I know that. Well the kid ended up giving the car back to his dad due to the lack of a license and job. Dad retrieved the Runner from Norcal and brought it back to Socal, stuffing it in the garage for safe keeping. This turned out to be really the single most thing that was done to the car to preserve its condition. Well 15 years goes by and the son is diagnosed with brain cancer and subsequently dies from his complications. Sadly this happened a few years ago and now the car is a sad reminder and keep sake for the families healing process. I feel like the car is where its supposed to be, although when I saw it I felt I needed to save it as I dont think the car will ever get its proper resto. It badly needs one. I told my friend that I didnt want him to pay for people to work on it anymore. I am its new keeper even though I dont own, I feel I owe it at least that. Unfortunately I dont think I will get the chance to own my car again. The other 2 kids want it if it were ever for sale, I will ask one day, when its appropriate, if there is a dollar amount that would allow me to buy. I dont want to be that guy who is a pest and constant bothering him to sell. So I am happy with the current situation and I know that at least it was never parted out, and every now and then I even get to cruise it.

I hope you guys enjoyed the story and pics. As a side note I still own my first car the 68 dart mentioned in the story. All this nostalgia has sparked some thought about my dart. I have tons of stories and memories with that car and it turns out that I really am glad that I hung onto it. Right now its in the middle of a full blown build from the ground up with a chromoly round tube back half and a twin turbo small block that has already proven itself to make well over 1000 hp! Try running that on stock suspension and a 28x10.5 slick. Been there done that but thats another story! Lets just say that I thank god I am here to tell about it!

PS thanks for sharing all your stories, lets here some more!

Thanks for the great story!!
I live near Humbolt State University! I also like the sunfire yellow roadrunners. My 69 is that color, I plan to get it drivable before winter. I really hope you get your old 68 someday.

Sad to hear about the son's passing way before his time. No parent should have to bury one of their children.

Here's a pic or two from back in the day. This is also (I think) the only pic of the 340 Duster. It was taken by the guy my brother bought it from.

left that part of the long story out. My brother has a 70 340 Swinger and way back when he had the car repainted it's original orange. Right after it was back on the road a drunk caused a wreck, taking out the nose of the Dart. So while the Dart was getting fixed, my brother wanted something else to drive. He finds this 340 4 speed Duster and asks me to go have a look.

I drove over in a 67 Sport Fury vert I had and had a look. While talking to the guy he tells me about having owned a 69 Bee that he put the original 3.91s from the Duster in. He says "the Bee had painted quarter scoops. I've seen it at the track. It's been repainted and I don't know who owns it now.

Much like John Cleese in Silverado I say "I know who owns that Bee." So we have a good laugh, and later I tell my bro he should buy the Duster. Funny, the whole time he had it he kept saying he wished he knew what happened to the original 3.91s.:edgy: I didn't tell him until years later after I had parted with both of the cars.
Nice 89 shelby truck you don't see them every day the frist v8 in a midsize truck that everybody copies, how many did they make ,about 800 i think

I think it was 1500 total, and I think the split was 847 red and 653 white. Don't remember for sure, and I really should. I called Shelby Automobiles in California (they were still there at the time) and asked a bunch of questions. They even sent me a bunch of info, including a 6' long dot matrix printout of the truck as delivered to them. It showed parts going on at the factory, then coming off and being replaced with Shelby parts (like the logo seats).

My truck was #1407. One really odd fact about them is that the engine numbers rarely matched the truck number (there's a motor tag under the hood)

Auto Transport Service
Back