• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Search For New Headers

dburnett6263

Local time
8:05 AM
Reaction score
Four years ago my 68 RR, 383, 4 Speed started out to be just a nice driver project. Fast forward to present and it has become at minimum, a semi Pro-Touring vehicle. Especially with the addition of a Magnum Force Transformer front end and Pro-Link rear. ( Magnum Force gets both good and bad press here but I am completely satisfied, no problems.)
Given this, and the new stance, the Long Tube Hookers will need to go.
Looking to go to Mid Length or maybe Shortys. The 383 is fairly healthy so I'm sporting 3" Stainless Exhaust. I'm having some trouble finding Stainless Mid or Shortys with a 3" Collector.
I'm saying Stainless because both my experiences and observations of the various coatings, Ceramic, Black Maxx, etc. all rust in about 2 years.
I did find Manza's or something like that out on the inter web but they seem awfully cheap and you tend to get what you pay for.
Don't really want to change starters or modify Z-bars if I don't have to.
This will probably be a winter project.
Any thoughts, recommendations, experiences will be appreciated.
Thanks Dale

Although I won't be changing mine until they rot out,(or I rot out, LOL); I will only install a set of Stainless TTI - TRI Y's. They allow more room for access to things like starters and power steering, as well as keeping excess heat away from the starter. I don't know if they make shorties or mid but they advertise they only make headers for Mopars; or at least they used to say that. Best of luck with your search.

What headers do you have now? When I used to run the 2" primary big tubes, I found that I got about 2" more ground clearance with Hooker vs. Heddman.

Sorry but my headers are brand X! In other words they were on the car when I bought it almost 8 years ago and I never could find any name or model numbers of any kind anywhere on them. Not on flanges, collectors etc... They look the same as several other brands, hooker, etc. By the way, I have a 440 in a 73 Satty RR clone. The headers are only 1 3/4". I think the manufacturer was just too embarrassed to label them. If I had a wallet that wasn't usually empty, I would have swapped them out already!

What headers do you have now? When I used to run the 2" primary big tubes, I found that I got about 2" more ground clearance with Hooker vs. Heddman.

I believe Hooker Competitions w/ 1 7/8 Primary's.
They came with the car when I bought it. They hang pretty low. I had them cleaned and re-coated with black ceramic. They still have begun to show some signs of rust.

Sorry but my headers are brand X! In other words they were on the car when I bought it almost 8 years ago and I never could find any name or model numbers of any kind anywhere on them. Not on flanges, collectors etc... They look the same as several other brands, hooker, etc. By the way, I have a 440 in a 73 Satty RR clone. The headers are only 1 3/4". I think the manufacturer was just too embarrassed to label them. If I had a wallet that wasn't usually empty, I would have swapped them out already!
I have a wallet like that too !

Four years ago my 68 RR, 383, 4 Speed started out to be just a nice driver project. Fast forward to present and it has become at minimum, a semi Pro-Touring vehicle. Especially with the addition of a Magnum Force Transformer front end and Pro-Link rear. ( Magnum Force gets both good and bad press here but I am completely satisfied, no problems.)
Given this, and the new stance, the Long Tube Hookers will need to go.
Looking to go to Mid Length or maybe Shortys. The 383 is fairly healthy so I'm sporting 3" Stainless Exhaust. I'm having some trouble finding Stainless Mid or Shortys with a 3" Collector.
I'm saying Stainless because both my experiences and observations of the various coatings, Ceramic, Black Maxx, etc. all rust in about 2 years.
I did find Manza's or something like that out on the inter web but they seem awfully cheap and you tend to get what you pay for.
Don't really want to change starters or modify Z-bars if I don't have to.
This will probably be a winter project.
Any thoughts, recommendations, experiences will be appreciated.
Thanks Dale

As you well know, the performance is in the long-tube designs. Plus, B-Body Mopars are one of the suckiest to fit. Then we go and modify our car so the good stuff doesn't fit anymore and we need a replacement. Bitch is, the old school manufacturers are tightening up the product offerings. I believe for the RR, Hooker is only long-tube full length, Hedman has a mid, but with 2-1/2" collectors. You can always neck it up to fit your existing pipes. Doug's are all long-tube. Give Schumacher a call, they have good reviews. (206) 364-7151. Based on my reviews, I believe I will use these on my '70 Super Bee.
http://www.engine-swaps.com/Pages/ProductsYear/66.72bBody.html
Of course, you could always by a kit and fabricate your own. Good luck.

Auto Transport Service
Back