• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The things we do for friends.....

BeeKool

Local time
10:45 AM
Reaction score
My dog Luke, the elder-most dog in my pack is 13ish. He was a rescue, dont know his exact age. His health has been declining. Today he (according to my brother) could not get up today. Luke is an inside/outside dog who lives at the acreage where my brother lives. My dad moved to town, left the dog, brother moved in.
Anyway he (Luke) spends most of these frigid days in the heated garage. Today he couldnt get up on his back legs. I made the appt and prepared for the worst. Lukes already on liver and arthritis meds.
Get to the vet, and suddenly Lukes fine, (smart dog, probably knew he better convince us).
Dr. runs some tests and........ hes diabetic.
Well Im relieved because I still have my old friend, I just have to check his blood and give him insulin twice a day. NO MORE DONUTS!
Its going to be difficult, but even if I buy him a few more months its worth it. His morale is sky high and hes a happy dog. What surprising is the insulin costs about $30/month and I get at Walmart.
Vet told me if it was for me it would cost five times as much .
Also my takeaway is that thus should be a warning for me to watch myself a little better.

Just wondering, does anybody else here have diabetic pets? Dr. told me its becoming very commonplace.

I've never had any diabetic pets, but am involved in GSD (German Shepherd) rescue. The stories and scenario's I come across could make Ol' BIGS a very dangerous man. My hats off to you sir :thumbsup:

glad your dog is ok. One of my dogs back legs are weak so it kills me to see her struggle. Love my dogs. It sucks to watch them get old.

glad your dog is ok. One of my dogs back legs are weak so it kills me to see her struggle. Love my dogs. It sucks to watch them get old.
Hate to say it …. could be DM. Many people think its bad hips/weak legs ect…. DM, I've lost 2 of my best to this disease. There is no cure. The only good thing about it is no pain.

Thank God you didn't rush and take your best frend to the doctor, he's getting old and now he's gonna need you more then ever, be patient and love him very much:praying: please.

ps. for the love God donuts are not for dogs!!!

I wish they had a "Sorry to Hear That" button Bee.
Thanks, Like, Agree or Disagree doesent cut it.
I have lost a few good dogs over the years and have mourned them worse than my human friends and family.
Keep him going as long as he's happy and has that sky high morale.

My neighbors had a diabetic dog - one of those little ankle biters. They loved their dog. He had diabetes and they spent in excess of $60k keeping him alive for the time he was. Eventually passed.

I had a diabetic cat...A cat who thought and acted as a dog....would play fetch and open closed doors.....what little grey matter he had he was smarter than most humans, lol....

I had to give him adult insulin twice a day and did that for seven years and special food, no kidding....Cost me a fortune but I loved that cat...out of those seven years I probably missed about 20 injections.....The last vet Jake had told me, "if anyone else had this cat he would have only made it for half that time." He would always leave the Vet with a lipstick mark on his head from the hot vet assistant....He was Snow White so the lipstick showed well.....Would drive my wife nuts that some lady was kissing our cat, lol.....Didnt bother me but Jake "hated" being kissed it was kinda of funny to watch.....

I commend you my friend for taking care of your wonderful friend...Says a lot in my books Trent....

IMG_0286.jpeg

Are you keeping a journal of test results and injection amounts? It's a good idea.

bought one of my dogs over 2 years with insulin twice a day..... he lost his eyesight, but the tail kept wagging

I had a Dog that had seizures at age 9
it took a special expensive diet and meds that cost me a bloody small fortune
between that and all the vet visits that I would pay cash for
but I kept her going for 7 years.
I haven't gotten the replacement yet as I needed a break from all the bills for a while.

Just wondering, does anybody else here have diabetic pets? Dr. told me its becoming very commonplace.
I don't have a diabetic pet, but I do have type II diabetes and my co-pay is over 5 times that $30. Maybe I can talk my doctor into prescribing for me as a big dog.
:lol:

When you get older you may prefer Doggies and kitty cats company as opposed humans, I know I treasure my time with them now more than ever. My animals get the best chow and med care possible and I guess really that they are my best friends now.

I’m one of those people that prefers the company of animals to that of humans.
I’m serious.
I’ve had a bunch of rescues over the years. If you heard some of the things that people did to these animals you may not think highly of our species, either.
Where I’m going with this is: it cost more to keep some of these animals then it did to keep my daughter. Daughter never went without because of pets and all loved me equally.
I couldn’t save them all, I couldn’t fix them all, but I tried and love every minute of it.

When you get older you may prefer Doggies and kitty cats company as opposed humans, .
Im at that point right now.

This isnt the 1st time Ive prepared myself for the worst. Hes been resilient though and comeback from everything life has thrown at him.
Hopefully he puts a little weight back on and his eyesight stays good.

Im very motivated by the huge amount of support from my fellow Mopar friends. Thanks guys.

I don't have a diabetic pet, but I do have type II diabetes and my co-pay is over 5 times that $30. Maybe I can talk my doctor into prescribing for me as a big dog.
:lol:
My dad sold also has type II diabetes. Expensive disease. Its just a little corrupt that the pharmaceutical companies have a 2 tiered pricing system.

Years ago, my elderly dog became diabetic. As I recall, I got blood from her upper pad, the one above the foot. They few nerve endings, never saw her wince.

Poor "Luke"

glad he's doing better

I know all too well about vet bills, for my fury kids

fortunately none have had diabetes
fortunately most all mine have been 'really healthy'
just stupid regular stuff, cuts etc., sending them to the vet

Dog Mark Twain Quote about people & dogs.jpg

My sons dog is 17. She is now having trouble controlling her bladder and bowels. She cant go down stairs so we have to carry her. She must be in pain as she tries to nip me when I go to pick her up. She is less nervous with my wife so she takes her up and down the stairs when we doggie sit.
The vet put her on a new diet which seemed to pick her up.
I dont even want to think about the next stages in her life but were preparing ourselves for that time

Auto Transport Service
Back