• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The time of your life

Aarons Air

Local time
2:35 AM
Reaction score
At what age in your life were you the happiest ? Was it at age 6, when everything was a huge new adventure ? 16 when you got your license, but were still ignorant to life's coming responsibilities ? In your 20's , when the gold ring, and white picket fence came along ? Later, when you climbed the ladder of success ? Retirement ?

I just turned 37 last month. I have many fond memories from all stages of my life. I have a younger sister that's 3 years younger than I and we often reminisce about family vacations, playing with friends in the neighborhood, etc. I had a cool group of buddies in high school and we were all into cars, golfing, bowling. After high school a buddy and I lived in an apartment together and we had some crazy times, and that's when I met my now wife. I moved to Pittsburgh shortly after by myself to attend WyoTech. It was tough moving away from my friends and family, but it was only for a year and I met a great group of friends and learned so much in that year. Moved back home to Cleveland, got a job at a hot rod shop doing what I love, got engaged and married after dating the wife for 8 years, we bought a house about 10 years ago, I have an 03 Mustang that I drag race and I'm neck deep in the Charger restoration with my dad. So all in all I have loved every part of my life so far...it's hard to pick a favorite time...I just hope the rest of it is just as good!

I'm going to probably respond more than once to this topic.
High school wasn't great for me. I was an average student. I didn't play sports or use drugs so I didn't have a specific crowd of people to hang out with.
I can say that there have been bright spots and some dark clouds through almost every period of my life.
In the mid to late 90s, I was between marriages. I played around but I really just wanted one good woman. I was gaining knowledge on the job and getting respect for my work. I bought my first house. I had a whole lot of fun shooting video of a couple of home movies I made with a bunch of car stunts. In May 1999 I met Mary, March 2000 I bought the Charger....

Looking back, I'd say my late teens to 28 or so we're my best years. Now, at age 61, I'm fairly secure financially, but the body just isn't as flexible and have as much stamina as in my younger days. With all three kids out of the house, Submit and I are enjoying our freedom once again.

I'm going to probably respond more than once to this topic.
High school wasn't great for me. I was an average student. I didn't play sports or use drugs so I didn't have a specific crowd of people to hang out with.
I can say that there have been bright spots and some dark clouds through almost every period of my life.
In the mid to late 90s, I was between marriages. I played around but I really just wanted one good woman. I was gaining knowledge on the job and getting respect for my work. I bought my first house. I had a whole lot of fun shooting video of a couple of home movies I made with a bunch of car stunts. In May 1999 I met Mary, March 2000 I bought the Charger....
Respond as much as you like. High school wasn't great for me either. I didn't play sports, but had 16" arms by the time i was 15. So everyone thought i lifted to be billy bad ***. Which wasn't the case. I just liked lifting. I think having my challengers and my cuda- having cars, was a marker of good times for me too.

I was a miserable teen. Always angry or sad. Don’t know why. This led to much drinking and drugging. I had zero empathy or compassion for anyone. I ‘m not exaggerating when I say I could have killed anyone for no reason and not lost a minute of sleep over it. Fortunately it never went that far. Not quite. Too close.
Twenties was better, but I still couldn’t seem to find my way. Thirties, things were looking up. Saw a shrink. Thirty minute visit changed my life. I’m serious.
Started to get my **** together. Quit drinking and drugging. Stopped falling in love with every tramp that said hello to me. Because of the advice from the shrink I met a woman who not only understood me, but appreciates me.
Had an amazing child who I’ve talked about here before.
I’m not sure if I can explain this adequately, but the biggest thing that changed, and changed me more, was I developed compassion.
So my late thirties, my forties, early fifties were the best days of my life. Still would be, but now the physical problems are catching up with me. I’m fifty nine, and I definitely feel closer to the end.

Last edited:
21, I'll always be 21 in my mind. I have never been more content then when I was that age.

It was also pretty cool that you had to be 18 to drink and when I turned 21 the drinking age was changed to 21. Didn't effect me any :drinks:

At this point each morning is my happy point LOL. I wake up and get the coffee on, head out to work.
After many years its hard to pin point one time period. Getting married then having it last 44 yrs.
Kids being born , grand kids. One damn good dog. had several over the years but you guys know there is always that one.
hauling my dad to his chemo treatments and our conversations at that point in time. took something like that to bring us somewhat together after many years.
each day you live you make knew high points. I think ..........

Summer of 93. Just graduated from high school. All my friends ran off to get high, drink and other stuff. I wanted a car so I went out and got a job at McDonald's instead. One night I saw Bullitt at 2 in the morning and suddenly knew what kind of a car I wanted. Worked all summer for $4.25 an hour and saved up $1500 to buy the the 1969 Charger that I've spent the last 27 years of my life with. That summer was f**king epic. Everything afterwards has been downhill...

Summer of 93. Just graduated from high school. All my friends ran off to get high, drink and other things. I wanted a car so I went out and got a job at McDonald's instead. One night I saw Bullitt at 2 in the morning and suddenly knew what kind of a car I wanted. Worked all summer for $4.25 an hour and saved up $1500 to buy the the 1969 Charger that I've spent the last 27 years of my life with. That summer was f**king epic...
There is a story we may never hear again.
Who can work all summer and buy a 69 Charger for even $15,000 today ?

Looking back, I'd say my late teens to 28 or so we're my best years. Now, at age 61, I'm fairly secure financially, but the body just isn't as flexible and have as much stamina as in my younger days. With all three kids out of the house, Submit and I are enjoying our freedom once again.

Why 28? None of my (our) business, but that’s a odd number. What happened?
And I’m aware that 28 is an even number but that’s not what I mean.

So far the happiest time was the day I fell out of the jeep at the feet of my soon to be wife.31 years and counting.

To keep Ohio in the hunt, when I got my first new car! Graduating from that (h)hole at Parris Island, then leaving that other hole in SE Asia; back home to the new wife,3 all good kids later and retirement. 1st new car(?) guess, lol.

I guess the closest I’ve come to being content was in my early 50s after I met my now wife. I think my younger years were stressful, anxious and searching times. She gave me a sense of purpose ( beyond myself), belonging and contentment I’ve never felt before. I’m 66 now and still in love but also feel my age for the first time. I’d love to go back to around 35 and have a do over. Not sure what I would do differently but I know my reactions to things would definitely be changed. I’m sure we all can say that - if I knew then what I know now....

Young dumb & full of "it" teen HS years, dating drills
driving my 68 Charger to HS, skiing in the winter, surfing in the summer
playing all kinds of sports, racing regularly, it was a great life here...

Na' I think about 21, 1980 or so, done with school
I had the world by the tail, or so I thought...
Making great $$$, had a great thriving businesses...
I was in love with life, had some really great experiences...
Very active in racing, sports, ladies & going out dancing (even if I sucked at it),
hunting, traveling was great, work was booming, life was full...
Still hadn't settled down, just raising my niece & nephew...

30 or so was even better,
I was far more mature to know what I actually had...
Great relationship with my soul-mate, raising kids, having fun
going to events, racing, hunting, sharing my experiences & co. was thriving

40 wasn't too bad either, moved 100 east from the bay, to Rancho Murieta CC
really active in golf & a new golf business venture
also sort of some bad years in there, stuff still happening in my life...

50 was the beginning of slowing down,
Lisa was gone for a quite a few years already (RIP)
I moved 100 mile+ again even farther upcountry rural/east, Sierras,
kids all grown, mostly all done with school & out of the house...
Dad living with me now...
Things are a lot slower pace up here...

so far 60 isn't too bad, we'll see how this decade goes
I can't complain much

Last edited:
I cant really give a time span. I've been on this rollercoaster ride for 65years. Lots of high's, but some lows too. Started my own business, 35 years strong. Now coming to its twilight. Had a band that played the State Fair a few times and Summerfest. Married to the same girl, will be 40 years later this year. Had some cool cars, did some fun stuff and some stupid **** too. As I have got older I seem to run into more painful conditions, so its sure not now. One thing I can tell you, stress can be a killer, for me it rears its ugly head with shingles (your body's way of saying F you.) Overall I'm the happiest when I'm on the road. A tank of gas and a point on a map...… hit it !

Last edited:
I cant really give a time span. I've been on this rollercoaster ride for 65years. Lots of high's, but some lows too. Started my own business, 35 years strong. Now coming to its twilight. Had a band that played the State Fair a few times and Summerfest. Married to the same girl, will be 40 years later this year. Had some cool cars, did some fun stuff and some stupid **** too. As I have got older I seem to run into more painful conditions, so its sure not now. One thing I can tell you, stress can be a killer, for me it rears its ugly head with shingles (your body's way of saying F you.) Overall I'm the happiest when I'm on the road. A tank of gas and a point on a map...… hit it !
Shingles - there’s an app for that.... Dual shots but over 90% effective....

Like some others have answered, the late teens/early 20's for me as well.
Never had there been that combination of freedom and lack of responsibility for others been
greater; lots of good times, no more social cliques at school to not fit into (I got along with
most of them, just wasn't "IN" any of them; cliques never made sense to me).
Simple life - work to make money to goof off with, usually with cars.
Several cars, friends' cars, the next car...and my first real car that wasn't some clapped
out 20 year old rust bucket.
No kids, no great family responsibilities - and everyone in the family was still alive, too.
When mama died unexpectedly, that era was officially over...
it's been a job in Realityville ever since.

There is a story we may never hear again.
Who can work all summer and buy a 69 Charger for even $15,000 today ?

I remember everyone including my mom's mechanic friend telling me that I was throwing my $1500 away. Throwing my money away on a perfectly straight bodied, freshly painted and interior redone daily driver capable car that would see me through college, work and everything else in between for four years. These cars couldn't be given away back then...

Auto Transport Service
Back