• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

There is always something.....

451Mopar

Local time
6:26 PM
Reaction score
Took a tap and cleaned/chased every bolt hole on the engine, and other parts. Put the oil pan on and find out the main seal retainer thread holes are stripped out. I thought I checked it, but now recall it was at the machine shop and they even cleaned it up for me. I must have forgot to chase those threads.
I did not take the engine apart, and found someone tried using extra long bolts and RTV in the rear main real retainer for the pan bolts (I though they just had mis-matched pan bolts.) Tomorrow, taking the oil pan back off to heli-coil the retainer...

I wouldn't be surprised to hear the mechanics here say "we've seen it all", but who would find it necessary to bear down like that on the main seal bridge?? It's obvious that you are just torqueing onto aluminum, and I've never seen rust tearing up those threads either. Someone think they are working on bearing #6, lol??
I assume everyone finds good threads there to be the norm?? On the other hand, I feel your pain, it's always something.

Auto Transport Service
Back