• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

There is Something Wrong Here?

Dibbons

Local time
2:55 PM
Reaction score
I just got a UPS quote to ship a 2.2 kilo package (4.85 pounds) from here in Mexico to Ontario, Canada for about $100.00 USD. Just for fun, I checked a commercial flight whereby I could fly from here to Ontario and deliver it myself (and only in one day, not 3, 4 or 5) for $228.00 USD (one way) on a 9 hour/one stop flight. And I weigh about 80 kilos and measure more than the tiny box of 25 cm X 15 cm X 39 cm.

ups truck.jpeg Volaris.jpeg

The Mexican Post Office wants about $40.00 USD for the same shipment (that is, if I used the online calculator correctly).

Don't know about anywhere else, but shipping from the US to points outside of North America, $100 by either DSL, Fedex (who didn't fare well compared to UPS on a recent Thread) or UPS isn't a surprise. I've had customers who want one of them despite their cost being many times more than USPS.
The USPS is cheaper than the others for shipments outside of the US, and have prices not far off your Post Office.
Shipping from where I'm located, UPS is usually the cheapest so I use them the most. Their product is superior, probably because they recognize for their employees, the importance of dignity, respect, and a voice at work.

i have mailed 3 things to canada lately. averages about 8.00/lb. for the things i mailed by usps.

I agree it initially seems wrong but you have to remember all the stages it takes to get the parcel from the drop off point to the delivery point. It doesn't get itself to the airport like you do, or walk off the plane and drive itself to it's final destination.
There's a lot of handling, sorting, checking etc plus the multiple modes of transport. I'm not defending the prices, they are ludicrous at the moment, but there are a lot of parties involved who all have to be paid.

I just got a UPS quote to ship a 2.2 kilo package (4.85 pounds) from here in Mexico to Ontario, Canada for about $100.00 USD. Just for fun, I checked a commercial flight whereby I could fly from here to Ontario and deliver it myself (and only in one day, not 3, 4 or 5) for $228.00 USD (one way) on a 9 hour/one stop flight. And I weigh about 80 kilos and measure more than the tiny box of 25 cm X 15 cm X 39 cm.

View attachment 1281240 View attachment 1281241
There is a threshold for weight limits on small packages - it applies here in New Zealand, and also in USA.

Once the package hits 2 kg here it kicks in a higher rate....I think the equivalent limit in USA is 4 pounds...maybe 5. It can also depend upon the person you are served by when paying & weighing. :rolleyes:

In general, the package charged weight "jumps" when the box is just a tiny big bigger. My 2.2 kilo shipment was charged at the 3.5 kilo rate because the box "volume" is now more "important" than the actual true shipment weight. This farce kicked in a few years back and basically has doubled the rates. Forget about mailing a box of feathers, you'll get charged as if it were lead because you need a big box. I'm surprised someone in authority has not stepped in to stop this nonsense.

Grampa, tell me about the good old days..
upload_2022-5-7_6-32-17.png

shipping is an absolute rip off lately especially if you purchase anything off ebay it's daylight robbery 3 items that fit in the same box and i'm take 1 gram items they still charge per item weather you box it together or not. no more combining postage apparently an absolute rip off

shipping is an absolute rip off lately especially if you purchase anything off ebay it's daylight robbery 3 items that fit in the same box and i'm take 1 gram items they still charge per item weather you box it together or not. no more combining postage apparently an absolute rip off
Yeah - having used fleaBay for over 20 years its become a progressively wasted effort. I have an item up for all of $15.95 and I'M paying the shipping for it that will be around 8 bucks. LOL - I got an offer to buy for 5 bucks. Yeah - sweet - I'll pay to be able to give it away free, pack it for shipping, and take the 14 mile round trip to the PO.
Next stop Goodwill.

View attachment 1281240 View attachment 1281241
But you won't be handled nearly as much...until you go through security....

UPS and likely the rest now use what they call, "dimensional weight". A 26 x 28 x 36 box costs the same to ship whether it weighs one pound or 100. And it gets a great big, "H" for "heavy" on the shipping label unless things have changed in the past two years.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back