• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

There's yer Problem.....

Badvert65

Local time
8:56 AM
Reaction score
OK, so I stopped for gas and noticed a whole lot of smoke coming from the wheel wells in back. I had just driven about 50 miles of interstate. It wasn't on fire so I figured, may as well finish the last 10 miles home. I get home and there is more smoke (not as much as before) but when I look under the car I see something glowing red behind the passenger rear wheel. The brake drum! DOH!

IMG_0662.JPGIMG_0664.JPG

I guess I will be doing that brake job sooner than later....

Might want to let them cool down a bit before you do the brake job . . . maybe a little later would be better than a little sooner ? ?

( good luck with that ! )

Wow that was close! Glad it didn't go boom!

I hated to keep going but I was so close to home. My plan has been to upgrade from the 10x2 rear brakes to 10x21/2. I am not really sure what the heck happened but I will be replacing everything. Maybe time to swap gears and replace the leaf springs. May as well go for broke....

I suspect that your axle seals on that side are now roasted and useless.

That WAS one really good set of brakes to get the drum glowing.....never have seen it that bad.... congrats, I think you set a new record! Whew....

Hey, I see you are not too far away. If you see an Orange '09 Challenger heading north on US29 in mid-AM, honk!

Good news-Bad news.....
Good news, rear brakes are already 2 1/2. For some reason, I thought they were only 2 inch.
Bad news, everything is toast...literally!
Not really certain what happened. E-brake spreader bar spring just fell out, everything rubber is burnt/melted. All springs lost tension, to the point I took them off with my bare hands.
Mama Mia! Time for new everything, including new finned drums.
Good times...
IMG_0665.JPGIMG_0666.JPG

Did it burn the paint off your wheel?

Wow, that looks rough. Make sure to replace the rubber line as well. I have had them swell shut and keep the brakes engaged resulting in problems you just experienced.....minus the glowing red drum:)

You might as well go for a disc brake upgrade.

You might as well go for a disc brake upgrade.

I don't have any plans for rear disks anytime soon. It is a street/bracket car and if anything, I'll go with bigger front rotors and larger rear drums. Most of my money will go into the motor and trans first.

Wow, that looks rough. Make sure to replace the rubber line as well. I have had them swell shut and keep the brakes engaged resulting in problems you just experienced.....minus the glowing red drum:)
Yup, and sometimes they break apart inside and jam the fluid in a cylinder/caliper; had a front rotor on a towed car jam up due to an old line that almost got this bad....but the smoke from the grease melting clued me in just in time... So agreed, if the rubber lines are old, it is time to replace them all, rear and front. They don't cost much at all on these cars. In this case, such a failure in the rubber line to the axle should have jammed both rear brakes however so perhaps not in this instance.

Only thing original on the car is the from rear rubber line all the way to the wheel cylinders. Each wheel has original parts except for the shoes. I replaced everything else with new parts when I upgraded to front disk brakes. At this point, I will be replacing everything from the rubber line back.

Auto Transport Service
Back