• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thermoquad intake question

GreatWhite

Local time
12:07 AM
Reaction score
I currently have a Holley 650 double pumper on my station wagon with a 440 which is a stock piston low comp 440 with a comp xe256 cam, stock 906 heads and soon to be cast iron HP manifolds instead of the hooker headers currently on it. Great cruiser, great torque.

I have a thermoquad in good shape sitting here I want to try instead of the double pumper.

The intake is an Edelbrock performer RPM airgap. I wonder if I should change to the original cast iron Thermoquad intake or stick with the performer rpm? Adapter to the edelbrock is already here.
The edelbrock will give me some clearane issues but I guess that could be figured out one way or another.
I read some good and some bad things about the OG intake and I went through almost every conversation on here but can't really decide what to do.

Would appreciate some input, thanks in advance guys!

Since the intake is already on the car use the adapter and see how it works.

stock intakes are a bottleneck to performance, but you have a small cam so it may work fine.

please take note of any power difference when swapping headers to manifolds.

I have a ThermoQuad on a performer rpm using a adapter. I had to get a little shorter air filter for my open element air cleaner. Fits under stock flat hood on a '68 Charger.

The RPM is the wrong intake for the rest of the combo: small cam, low comp ratio etc. The RPM power range is listed as 1500-6500 rpm, which the engine will never reach with those components. The Performer [ or factory intake ] would be better suited, idle -5500 rpm.
Congrats on using the TQ.

The rpm intake is what the car came with but I guess I'll be better off with the factory intake. I don't really care about power anymore, a factory looking engine compartment is more appealing to me nowadays since the car doesn't see more than 4k rpm anyway with the 2.76 rear gear.
I'll ditch the crappy hooker headers and search for a factory intake, if it robs me 50 hp so be it.
Thanks for the input!

I have tried a Thermoquad carb with a Edelbrock performer 440 intake part# 2191 the result was a torque monster. My car has standard steering but on the highway during hard acceleration from 55 mph to 85 mph the car felt like it had power steering.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back