• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thermostat for a six pack

chucklbunny

Local time
2:28 AM
Reaction score
Massachusetts - Where EVERYTHING is illegal !!
hi guys,
I read in another thread that six packs run best with a 195 degree thermostat, is that true? What are the pros and cons of a lower temp thermostat? Should I run a 195 thermostat? Any help is greatly appreciated!!

I run a 195. Opinions on this vary A LOT but the logic is to atomize the fuel more efficiently. I have no issues with the 195, the fact is that it doesn't matter what thermostat you run once the engine is warmed up. It will open at whatever temp it is designed for and it will not contribute to any overheating regardless. My experience is that if a car is overheating, it's not the thermostat unless of course it's stuck closed.

I run a six pack on a stroked engine. Thermostat is a 180 - never had any problems or noticeable issues.

IF you have an exceptionally good cooling system, a 180F may "slightly" prolong engine life. Below 180F, I've heard you can't tune your carburetors accurately. I run a 180F

Auto Transport Service
Back