• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thermostat or not

1967 satellite

Local time
2:06 PM
Reaction score
While changing the upper radiator hose I noticed there is no thermostat. The car is a 383-4V automatic with a factory stock radiator and clutch fan. The car never gets hot or overheats. Do I have a concern or not? Should I add a thermostat and what temperature?
Many thanks in advance

absolutely! 180 is recommended in the North. it slows the flow, and allows the system to work properly.

The thermostat also helps the engine reach operating temperature quicker.
You get more wear when the engine is running too cold.
It should be set up as Chrysler designed.

the antifreeze also needs the higher temps in order to reach a higher boiling point.
and your heater will never work right in New York.

There IS such a thing as too cold. Especially for short trips, the oil needs to warm to get the microscopic amount of moisture out, vaporizing off. I run the EMP-Stewart high flow thermostat from Summit.

I found the same issue with my 383 hp. When I went to pull it out of the car, no thermostat. When I stroked the 400 to 512, I put a 180 degree in and zero issues. As a matter of fact, I just got back inside from its first spring run of 2021! We don’t get many 60 degree days in March here in Maine!

Anyway go 180 degree and it’ll be just fine!

Absolutely! Motors run better fully warmed up, without a thermostat they may never reach operating temperature in cool weather.

Auto Transport Service
Back