• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

They promised me metric but failed to deliver

I don't understand that part. 1/10 of a foot is 1.2 inches, so you're already starting with fractions. If a length was 5 feet and 3- 7/8 inches, how would you show that using 10th of a foot? Educate me. :)

Don’t use inches. Just 1/10ths of a foot. Your confusion is trying to convert 1/10ths of a foot to inches.

I think they should add days to February, taking them from the months that have 31.

You would then end up with the potential of 7 months with 31 days and 5 with 30

You could then redistribute so that Jan and Dec have 31, and then every other month has 30 then 31. The only 2 31's in a row would be Nov/Dec (or could be any...say summer so you'd only have to remember June/July)

I think that would be way easier.
Lol and while we are at it we should get rid of save light savings time! Here in AZ we never change our clocks. All the other states ate crazy!

Lol and while we are at it we should get rid of save light savings time! Here in AZ we never change our clocks. All the other states ate crazy!

I wish Indiana had never changed, I hate DST with a passion. I thought there was one other state that was still with you guys on no DST.

According to the interweb it's Hawaii

It all comes down to the fact that both systems are great, when facing rusted bolts&nuts. If a wrench/socket slips, go to the other system.

It all comes down to the fact that both systems are great, when facing rusted bolts&nuts. If a wrench/socket slips, go to the other system.

It all comes down to the fact that the standard system is great, when facing rusted bolts&nuts. If a wrench/socket slips, go to the Smoke wrench

Fixed that for ya

What really pisses me off is when I am working on a vehicle and it's half SAE and half Metric.
Not to mention all the new tools that I had to buy in the early 90's.

I agree!! To many tools to do a simple job.

Don’t use inches. Just 1/10ths of a foot. Your confusion is trying to convert 1/10ths of a foot to inches.
I agree, but that doesn't answer my question. If you were faced with 5 feet and 3- 7/8 inches how would that look on your drawings in tenths? I am curious. I can imagine that the 5 feet would be 50 tenths, but what would the inches look like?

Damn you, beat me to it!

View attachment 730396

Is that her phone number?

On topic... I've used them all having to fabricate machinery over the years. Try building something useing a German drawing. Yes it's metric but it's a whole different way of doing things. Once you learn how to read them, you realize what geniuses they are with some of their inventions.

Learning and useing metric reminds me of how a lot of mechanics wanted to drop out of working on cars when the electronic ignitions came out. It's acually easier than standard but people don't like changes.

I agree, but that doesn't answer my question. If you were faced with 5 feet and 3- 7/8 inches how would that look on your drawings in tenths? I am curious. I can imagine that the 5 feet would be 50 tenths, but what would the inches look like?

5.3’ or maybe 5.32’. No inches.

Metric is not feet and inches it is meters centimetres milometers etc

Need to go with 1,000 degrees in a circle since no one wants 2pi radians. :rolleyes:

I think the problem for ALL OF US here is the conversion from one system to the other, different approaches to measures the same things, and the mix and match bolts and nuts in a car.:BangHead:

I don't think pic number 1 is a 24 inch waist.

19 or 20 maybe.

I dated a girl 33-19-33 and 5'6". Those are hard numbers to find.

Current wife is 34-22-34 and 5'4". I call it "missy" version of "brick house"

I don't understand that part. 1/10 of a foot is 1.2 inches, so you're already starting with fractions. If a length was 5 feet and 3- 7/8 inches, how would you show that using 10th of a foot? Educate me. :)
Awwww...common Photon..... 5' & 3-7/8" = 63.875" = 5.32291666666'......simple. And 1.2 is a decimal, not a fraction...maybe that's what's so confusing?

On a serious note, metric makes scientific calculations A LOT easier. It also makes me have two sets of tools like already mentioned. You win some, you lose some.

Last edited:
ahhh what...
yoda-star-wars.jpg

What really pisses me off is when I am working on a vehicle and it's half SAE and half Metric.
Not to mention all the new tools that I had to buy in the early 90's.
Lucky it's not a Ford....they created their own special bolts and weird *** nuts just to be difficult - and to prevent "non-authorised" service work.
Think about this one....you guys in the States are almost metric - well at least your currency is. :lol:

One tenth of a foot is 30.5mm
One inch is 25.4mm

Auto Transport Service
Back