• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thinest composite BB head gasket?

GrabberOrange69

Local time
6:25 AM
Reaction score
What's the thinest available composite head gasket out there for our BB Mopars? I know you can get into the .020" range with steel shim, but I can't use that as I've got aluminum heads.

Thanks,

Cometic has a MLS Gasket that is 4.35 bore and 0.027 thick when compressed. Keep in mind you need 0.055 piston to head clearance, so these should work with an 88cc chamber head but not the 84 and 78.5 cc chambered heads unless your piston is 0.030 down in the hole.

I have been researching this, and have found that many guys have used the steel shim head gasket with aluminum heads, without any problems. Also, I have heard of a guy who used a .020" piston to head clearance, and raced it for 2 years before it blew up! Lol. I think the accepted minimum is .035" clearance. I have ran .037" on the flat area (squish) for 4 years and no problems. I may try .030" on a used motor, just to see if it will work.

You can search head gasket on this forum, and get a lot of good info. I plan to use a good amount of Copper Coat spray sealant on my steel shim head gaskets, since they will be used with aluminum heads.

Auto Transport Service
Back