• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Think of a muscle car you can drive every day.

SteveSS

Local time
10:08 PM
Reaction score
I don't mean anything newer than 2010. I can confidently drive my '97 Camaro SS every day or on a long trip but it has fairly low mileage.

Anything else? I know a lot of people that would drive/buy muscle cars if they could count on them. I suppose some of this would fall into the Pro-Touring category with all-new running gear and suspension but those cars are awfully expensive.

I like C4 Corvettes, having owned one with 149K on it when I bought it and 161K when I traded it off. It was my daily driver over a two year period. Yeah, I had to put a little work in it, with the $$$ part being the Optispark ignition replacement, correct tires, and a new headliner.

Another good DD would be a Ford Lightning from the '90s or an OBS Chevy SS pickup. So would a Shelby Dakota pickup.

For cars, a big Impala SS sedan from the mid-'90s can't be beat! Except maybe a Crown Vic cop car. Every now and then, you'll find one that hasn't been just beat to smithereens. Another fun one is a Camaro or Caprice with the 9C1 handling package. A Firebird WS1 is another fun driver.

My '66 Coronet 500 was my DD from 1981 through 1985. In mid-1985, after I had the engine rebuilt, and the car painted, it got relegated to occasional use only.

corvette sunset.jpg

I drove my stock 1970 GTX every day when it was just a used car, and never had any issues with it. Took a 600 mile trip to Myrtle Beach, SC on my honeymoon.

7C36E7FE-EC85-4FBD-9526-7D2F83C452A5.jpeg

Had this old girl across Canada three times. Couple of trips south of the border. Never ever laid down on me. Not even a flat. And still going.

Banff.JPG

Has NEVER left me stranded. Wife has had to push to start a few times in the '80's, but other than that! LOL
beecruiseandlunchapril152023 004.jpg

Best DD's considering fuel cost would be the old standby 340 A-body or 383 B-bodys. Carry a spare ECU and ballast in the glovebox and you're good to go just like it has been for 55 years. These cars were great then and they're still great.

I used to have a 2005 Magnum R/T Hemi wagon that I drove to work every day. I have had a double knee replacement and it got hard to get into and out of, so it had to go. Good power, lots of space to haul car parts, and reasonable gas mileage. It was a very comfortable car to drive, with lots of creature comforts.

While not a car, a 09-up Ram 1500, 2WD truck with a 5.7 makes for a pretty quick truck. My '12 ran mid-high 14's at E-town during the Nats in '13 bone stock

May not qualify as a "muscle car" to some...My 2001 Dakota R/T was my daily driver for almost 20 yrs. Still drive it to work at least once a week. It's been dependable. I drive it pretty hard and it doesn't get the same care and attention it did when it was newer. I've had to fix some things over the years, but it's never left me stranded. Fun little truck.

20221001_094307.jpg

I live in WI in the salt. Daily is seasonal.
My Ramcharger runs all summer. I had a 94 Mustang(very modified) for a lot of years prior.
I know a lot of old timers can't get past a name plate but my '13 AWD charger is my "winter beater". Comfy, big, fast, better in snow and such then most trucks, whole family fits plus luggage. They stopped making them in '14.

May not qualify as a "muscle car" to some...My 2001 Dakota R/T was my daily driver for almost 20 yrs. Still drive it to work at least once a week. It's been dependable. I drive it pretty hard and it doesn't get the same care and attention it did when it was newer. I've had to fix some things over the years, but it's never left me stranded. Fun little truck.

View attachment 1453685
20180617_102011.jpg

Same here with my 04. 170k and counting. No rust and paint still looks like it did 15 years ago. Never garaged. Only thing I replaced was the 545rfe. Not one engine issue.

I think it can be almost anything, really - take your pick. It's all a matter of making sure the car is in good mechanical condition, plus (as mentioned above), you should carry a few spare parts that might be getting hard to find, like the electronic ignition box.

I've driven both of these across country. I would again without worry.
20210905_142406.jpg

I recently ended up getting a 30,600 mile 1969 Corvette for a bargain I couldn't refuse. So I'm making it a (almost) daily driver.
20221120_152419.jpg

20221120_155218.jpg

It needs some work, so I am going through it to be sure everything is reliable and that the interior is nice and clean and no longer smells of mice piss. After that, I'm going to just drive and enjoy it as a regular car that I don't have to be too worried about.

This was my daily driver in HS and for a few of years after. Back then it was just an 11 year old car. I even drove it from WI to northern California in April of '83 and drove it back in August. I didn't drive it in the winters for the reasons stated by Detective D. I had several winter drivers. First a '66 Ford wagon, then a '69 Sport Satellite (wish I still had that one), then a '68 VW bug.

IMG_0022.JPG

anything I ever drove was super dependable, even my AMC.... It's more about the owner than it is about the car

I knew this post would go way left with all kinds of non-muscle car pics.

How about this?
photo.JPG
Raised two kids in it.
It was my daily driver for a number of
years.
It's a '79, bought in '81, still have it.
Many, many camping trips, transport to
the duck blind, road trips to Nevada,
Texas, and Colorado.
Of the 23 vehicles I've bought and
traded in my lifetime, I just can't seem
to part with this one.
70ChargerRT....
My apologies for straying from the
muscle car theme, but around here
where I live, people know and respect
this old Jeep (which has never lost
a light to light street race), for the
sleeper it is. Hotrodding is what it's
all about.
PS....I never took on a challenge with
the wife or kids in the Jeep.
I prefer to build my own muscle.
1614640972.jpg

I don't mean anything newer than 2010. I can confidently drive my '97 Camaro SS every day or on a long trip but it has fairly low mileage.

Anything else? I know a lot of people that would drive/buy muscle cars if they could count on them. I suppose some of this would fall into the Pro-Touring category with all-new running gear and suspension but those cars are awfully expensive.
The newest car I ever owned was my wifes 2012 Kia Optima. All the rest of my vehicles are older than 2010.

The real question is why not daily a muscle car?
I'm all for it.
Why spend buku bucks building a life's
dream only to keep a shiny shrine
hidden away in one's garage.
Drive them as they were ment to be
driven. If you're lucky to live through
two restorations of the same car
as I have been, the second go round
is much easier. (you know what's
broke).

Auto Transport Service
Back