• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This black Charger is a hot box! What can I do?

Triple Black 73

Local time
11:53 PM
Reaction score
My black Charger look, runs, and drive great, but it's a dangum hot box in this Georgia summer heat! For example, the air temp was 85 degree on the drive home. I was soaked head to toes in sweat when I got like I ran 500 miles in a race car. The drive was only 30 miles at 70+ mph with both windows opened.

I have decided my winter project will be to recover the seats (no more worst seats in the nicest car rewards for me!) and prepping the heater box for heat and AC. I plan to pull the dash and carpet to make it easier. I figure since I'm there, I'll address the excessive amount of heat coming through the floors and firewall.

I think one the biggest things I can do to help is to control the main source of heat: the headers. I looking at replacing the header with coated one ($600) whit is said to drop temps by 200 degrees or wrapping my existing one ($100) which drops temps by 300 degrees. I'm leaning toward wrapping because of cost and I think wrapped headers, when done right right, looks freaking cool. New headers would look better and won't rust like wrapped headers.

Next step would be some sort of heat barrier/insulation behind the dash and on the floor. I know there are literally thousands of different insulation products out there to do the job, but what works well to block heat from the firewall and floors? I'm not concerned about noise as much as i want to block heat.

Another thing I plan to do next is tinting the windows 20% with a good thermo blocker.

Any suggestion or other things would be awesome to hear. Thanks!

Selling the car to me real cheap would be the best way to unload that heat box, I'll drive it only in cool.weather up here, ok ?

Get one of this

images (1).jpeg

Air conditioning? Aftermarket air isn't terribly more than a good set of coated headers.

Auto Transport Service
Back