• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This happens every time I order oil on Amazon...

Stereolab42

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:12 AM
Reaction score
1683855877822.png

Without fail, every year I order like 6 jugs of 5-quart Lucas Oil from Amazon Prime and a bunch of them mysteriously become "undeliverable" and I need to re-order. I can imagine some extremely unlucky Amazon driver just chucking these boxes in the back of his truck until one of them explodes and sends gallons of oil all over everyone's flat-screen TVs...

Driver, looking at oil soaked merchandise: "Damn, not this again. Who buys oil on the internet? How come no one is buying 100 rolls of paper towel when this guy buys his dang exploding oil?"
Amazon: "Unfortunately a problem occurred with your delivery."

Funny, that never happens with Summit for me....
Just got to make sure nobody uses FedEx to ship here. Their local franchise holder
delivers like that crazy old coot on the old Chevy Chase film "Funny Farm"....
(Let's see who gets that obscure reference....) :)

I wonder if he still holds the record for most lamb fries consumed?

C
View attachment 1463515
Without fail, every year I order like 6 jugs of 5-quart Lucas Oil from Amazon Prime and a bunch of them mysteriously become "undeliverable" and I need to re-order. I can imagine some extremely unlucky Amazon driver just chucking these boxes in the back of his truck until one of them explodes and sends gallons of oil all over everyone's flat-screen TVs...
Curious if it’s a California restriction on shipping / delivering oil that causes the major hiccup in shipping from Amazon?

edit:

California - You must have a CDL with an “H” endorsement before you drive any size vehicle that is used to transport HazMat as defined in CFR, Title 49 §383.5.

That may eliminate many delivery drivers!

All the more reason to just get up off of the couch and go to the auto parts store and pick it up yourself. That is how I choose to do things. Hardly ever order online unless it it required for something through work.

I've ordered four large jugs from Amazon Prime a couple of times. No issues.

I NEVER order anything on line, if I can help it.
I used to buy oil any time it was on sale, until I put it all in one place. Now I only buy diesel on sale. Two diesel trucks, two oil changes, 24 quarts gone.

Problem now days is finding the oil you actually want in stores. Then asking your desk clerk at the parts store about a specific oil and they look at you like you are speaking a foreign language.

Lack of availability or understanding then leads to ordering online as the only resort. Haven't had any issues, even from Prime, when I have had to go this route.

I’ve ordered oil online and it got shipped to my house no problem. Both from Amazon and eBay.
A few years ago, NAPA had their what appears to be an annual April sale on oil, including VR1. I went online to their site and it said “free shipping“ so I ordered VR1. Then I got something from them saying the oil can’t be shipped, but will be available for me to pick up at a store that is about 3 miles north of me in a few days. 3 or 4 days go by and I’m starting to wonder when the store will have my order. Finally I get a call from a guy at the NAPA store saying he got this order request for me, but can’t find 10W-30 VR1 anywhere and is going to cancel my order.
I tell this to a gearhead coworker and he says they always have VR1 on the shelf at the NAPA by him. That store is on my way home from the office, so I stop there. None on the shelf, but the clerk checks and says they don‘t have any, but tells me a store about 5 miles west shows 7 quarts in stock. So I drive there, the clerk goes in back and comes back with 4 quarts.
He says they show 7 in the system but he only found 4.
As I drive home I remember another NAPA location on the way, so figure I’ll stop in to see if they have any.
The clerk checks and says no, but we really should, he’ll order some from the distribution center and call me in a couple days when they get it.
He calls as promised, and I drive 20 miles there to get the VR1.
So I had to deal with 4 NAPA stores and drive all over, to get 2 cases of oil that they had on sale.
For those saying just buy in store, does that ordeal make sense over trying to order online?
My Ram 2500 6.4 uses some 0W-40 srt grade I’ve yet to see on the shelves at any store yet, so there’s that too.

I live in the Chicago suburbs. There’s probably a dozen NAPA stores within 20 miles of my house.
Problem is I need to go to half of them just to find a couple cases of VR1 to buy when they have it on sale! I should have bought a pallet full last month instead of the 3 cases I did buy.
Then I could spare myself this annual scavenger hunt to buy a couple cases for many years to come. It was $5.99 a quart in April, I doubt I’ll be seeing it that cheap again anytime soon…

I live in the Chicago suburbs. There’s probably a dozen NAPA stores within 20 miles of my house.
Problem is I need to go to half of them just to find a couple cases of VR1 to buy when they have it on sale! I should have bought a pallet full last month instead of the 3 cases I did buy.
Then I could spare myself this annual scavenger hunt to buy a couple cases for many years to come. It was $5.99 a quart in April, I doubt I’ll be seeing it that cheap again anytime soon…
VR1 is good oil, worth searching for when on sale. I don't have that problem, I probably have ten years worth of conventional and synthetic oil. And I just use diesel oil I can get from Costco when they have a sale. 11 to 15 quarts per change, buying on sale makes sense.

To the OP...Seriously!!! Have you never heard of an Auto Parts Store for these types of things??? Autozone, ORielly's, NAPA, you name it!!! Plus if you qualify, they even offer a discount. Now I have ordered and bought some Oil on online from AMSOIL when I purchased some synthetic Oil for my 66 Ply Sat engine build and some Brad Penn Break In Oil for it after the rebuild, directly from those concerns, but why would anyone buy oil from of all places, AMAZON??? AMAZON is really good for some things but anything related to cars and trucks and autos, FOEGETABOUTIT!!! Not reliable at all...cr8crshr/Bill:realcrazy::realcrazy::realcrazy::usflag::usflag::usflag:

To the OP...Seriously!!! Have you never heard of an Auto Parts Store for these types of things??? Autozone, ORielly's, NAPA, you name it!!! Plus if you qualify, they even offer a discount. Now I have ordered and bought some Oil on online from AMSOIL when I purchased some synthetic Oil for my 66 Ply Sat engine build and some Brad Penn Break In Oil for it after the rebuild, directly from those concerns, but why would anyone buy oil from of all places, AMAZON??? AMAZON is really good for some things but anything related to cars and trucks and autos, FOEGETABOUTIT!!! Not reliable at all...cr8crshr/Bill:realcrazy::realcrazy::realcrazy::usflag::usflag::usflag:
The manual on my Ram 6.4 says to use Pennzoil ultra platinum 0W40 (I suppose to avoid Hemi tick). Try finding that in a store. I usually order it from the Pennzoil store on Amazon 3 or 4 boxes of 6 at a time.
Auto parts stores are a no go for me, closest one is 20+ miles away. If I swing by to or from work, they’re closed. Walmart has better prices on oil though, but the one I usually go to doesn’t keep up with their stock, so it’s a roll of the dice.
Ordering online for the win!

Yeah, the local sources in these parts don't carry any of the oil types/brands my critters run, either.
As a small town, even places like WalMart and Advance Auto have reduced size inventories than their
big brother full-sized stores, so they have limited stock.
Easier just to get on Summit and click a couple buttons - and pay using PayPal for that added layer
of security, too - even though I've never had anything but great service from Summit.

Auto Transport Service
Back