• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This look right to you?

mr.belvedere

Local time
2:46 AM
Reaction score
So the original set of rockers and shafts on this 440 were in tough shape. Some bent pushrods, lots of scoring and some peening on valve stem end. Just a good idea to replace. MP HD rockers gone the way of the dodo, and Sealed Power ones back-ordered, and according to them, about to be phased out. So I ordered a set of USA made Elgins, as they were used in a few stock-type magazine rebuilds, which is what this is. Stock cam, single springs. Well, all the left side rockers looked good. The right side rockers all seemed to have the oil hole in the pushrod socket drilled too high. Like almost in the center, rather than in the bottom of the socket toward the shaft. And not in a consistent spot either. One wasn't even drilled! So I thought maybe they were seconds. Called the vendor, they sent me another 8 rockers from a different batch. Same deal. But at least they were all drilled, and in the same spot. Should I run these? Or is the oil hole too high? I dont want to burn up the tips of the pushrods from oil starvation. What do you guys think?
rockers.jpg

Big blocks don't oil through the pushrods, No LA series engine did either. Only the Magnum 5.2 and 5.9 did.
Maybe the hole was to lube the pushrod tip, like the oil coming up through the shafts splashed INTO the hole instead of FROM it?

Big blocks don't oil through the pushrods, No LA series engine did either. Only the Magnum 5.2 and 5.9 did.
Maybe the hole was to lube the pushrod tip, like the oil coming up through the shafts splashed INTO the hole instead of FROM it?
Yes, thats exactly correct. Oil is fed TO that hole via the rocker shaft. My concern is that they are drilled to high on the arc to get sufficient volume to the pushrod tip.

Why not a used set of originals?
I think I have a whole set in my barn.

Yes, thats exactly correct. Oil is fed TO that hole via the rocker shaft. My concern is that they are drilled to high on the arc to get sufficient volume to the pushrod tip.
The pushrods spin with the lifters. It seems to me that any hole there would serve the purpose.
I'd use them.

Auto Transport Service
Back