• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This makes me sick to my stomach.

I am a Coronet person, but those hip hop wheels are ugly. No sidewall what so ever.

Anybody can do what they want with their car but those type of people lose my respect. Things that shake my head and make me wonder “why do you own an old car” are installing modern engines, ditching the carb for efi or tbi, adding A/C when it wasn’t a factory option for the car and big honkin rims with big honkin brake calipers.

I'm actually warming up to the idea of a modern engine & transmission, but keeping the car looking stock until the hood is popped.

That Charger on fleabay is just an abomination.

Anybody can do what they want with their car but those type of people lose my respect. Things that shake my head and make me wonder “why do you own an old car” are installing modern engines, ditching the carb for efi or tbi, adding A/C when it wasn’t a factory option for the car and big honkin rims with big honkin brake calipers.
Loose respect? I can respect their abilities because that car is absolutely gorgeous if you take away the rims and lift it back up a bit. Looks like excellent craftsmanship with a lot of really poor taste in the stance and rims but that's where personal preference kicks in. Lift it up and change the rims and all of a sudden everybody will be saying how sweet it is, a days work away from being awesome.

To answer the question WHY people do this (not the lowrider look), some people actually want to enjoy racking up miles safely, economically and in comfort. Why EFI, for one today's fuel isn't mixed for carburated engines and causes plenty of headaches headaches I've worked threw to keep my carb.

I have a beef with people who judge based on their idea of what's right or wrong, classics are cool no matter what so if someone wants to make them more DRIVEABLE in today's world of **** fuel (EFI), idiot drivers (better braking) and higher speed limits (suspension and rim upgrades) then great that means it will at least be driven. My beef is with people who keep them tucked away to never be seen.

I'm with 747 on this, drivability is good, and latest tech in tires and stopping power are just good sense. I will grant you that there are so few 68's left that leaving the body original appearing is way to go, BUT, it's their car and it need please no one but them. I don't care for the hoopde wheels and tires either. The designing and fab is top notch but seems overdone to me,and too modern to fit with the car. I would say that I would compare this ride up next to the Foose "Imposter Impala" and you can see what I mean by the fab and design meshing well with the body style and age of the car.

Who picked the wheels? Chop Foose or JayZ?
Ruined a good car

I am not sure why someone would take offense to air conditioning on a non-ac car. Just curious, would it be the same if you took the AC system off if it was so desired?

And how about the 4 speed I am throwing in my original automatic car?

I am not sure why someone would take offense to air conditioning on a non-ac car. Just curious, would it be the same if you took the AC system off if it was so desired?

And how about the 4 speed I am throwing in my original automatic car?

Sorry, just reread the post and saw the remark about "not a factory option". My bad. but just curious, don't you have to go way back to find cars that do not have the air-conditioning option?

I think the cars is pretty nice except for the wheels and the 13 tvs inside. Those wheels look like the cheapest set of polished Discount Tire wheels he could buy!
What he did is called hotrodding, not restoring.... Now the description seems to have some embellishment 14yrs to design???
And at $147k. I think he may be reaching a wee bit!

The only thing I don't like about it is the stupid wheels with the stupid lowrider airbag suspension and the stupid TVs and the stupid custom console.... I don't like anything but the body on it

Did that say 147,000 ha

Not a fan of the wheels, other than that I like it. It’s on air bags so ride height can be adjusted in about 20 seconds. A lot of hard work went into that car, a lot of craftsmanship to appreciate.

Custom cars mean so many different things to different people. My wife often makes disparaging remarks about cars we see. I try to remind her that while it may not be her taste, it is the taste of the owner. That is the great thing about custom cars....whether it is a lead sled merc, a 32 ford rat rod, a low rider with a wild custom paint job, or a jacked up 4X4. It is someones taste and their car to customize as they please. I personally like the stripped down factory super stock look. Most of the comments I get about my car from people who don't know what it is, is when I am going to get rid of the plain black steel wheels and get some nice rims for it (69 road runner a-12 clone).

I'm with 747 on this, drivability is good, and latest tech in tires and stopping power are just good sense. I will grant you that there are so few 68's left that leaving the body original appearing is way to go, BUT, it's their car and it need please no one but them. I don't care for the hoopde wheels and tires either. The designing and fab is top notch but seems overdone to me,and too modern to fit with the car. I would say that I would compare this ride up next to the Foose "Imposter Impala" and you can see what I mean by the fab and design meshing well with the body style and age of the car.

I have to agree with this too. While it isn't anything I would consider doing to my car, it's something a LOT of people are into. Look at the shows like American Hot Rodder, Overhaulin, Bitchen' Rides. They are "Custom" cars, no different than when people started turning '32 coupes into hot rods. You have a group of people that think a '32 Ford should be restored to original. You have an even larger group that wants to customize them and build them the way they want. Some come out looking like a 2032 Ford,.... some look like they were hot rodded in the 50's.

I look at it this way,... people can build their cars however they want, and I'm glad to see it is keeping more interest in these old cars. Parts companies won't invest the money to make replacement parts for these cars unless there is a need. The more interest there is in the car world, the more companies will offer things we need. Shoot,... it wasn't THAT long ago you couldn't buy any quality body panels for our beloved Charger. Now companies like AMD make about EVERY single body component on the car. In my opinion,... bring on more interest in the hobby and keep making those hard to find parts!!

I just bought this 70 Charger Daytona race car. I usually prefer my cars stock for the most part. Let it be known that I bought this car like this, and I am not the person who thought it would be a great idea to cut up a really solid southern 70 Charger R /T and put the body on a modern Loughlin style Nascar chassis. That said, I thought that it is a very cool project, and I intend to build it and drive this Daytona stock car on the street! One of the previous owners was trying to turn it into a modernized Fast and Furious Daytona wannabe, and hacked up the hood fenders and doors. I am trying to put the body back to stock 70 Charger R /T configuration with the Daytona aero kit on it. Most people are not real receptive to second generation Chargers that have body modifications. I am doing my best to unhack the butchering that was done to the body, because there is no need to screw with perfection!
20180213_143407.jpg
20180312_171346.jpg
20180304_105654.jpg
20180213_143451.jpg

Nice project! very cool car. I had a 65 Impala that was lowered some and tubbed, and a 454, and I put the Eagle raised yellow letter tires on it. The car was very deep dark green, this was in SC and many people though it was a Nascar thing..

Auto Transport Service
Back