• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This one made me think....

Kern Dog

Life is full of turns. Build your car to handle.
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:17 PM
Reaction score
1 s 5.jpg

I posted this in the meme thread but I wanted to comment further without clogging up the thread with extended commentary.
It might be a symptom of a man that is on the downhill slope of life but I love thinking about days gone by. I think of it often. I don't fool myself into thinking that everything from way back then was always better than today but some things really were.
I like time travel movies and TV shows. In some , they caution that any changes made while in the past could have a terrible impact on the future. I agree with the meme above. I wouldn't change anything. My life turned out fine. I just think that there are some events that happened that were so deep and impactful, I would love to feel that way again.
Nothing compares to the thrill of a "first time". Not just in sex but in love, the first job, the first car, the first house, your first Million.....(Still waiting on that)

There was a movie several years ago. "Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind".
It was about a guy that loved and lost and because the pain hurt him so much, he wanted the memory of the ex erased from his mind.
I don't have anything that hurt so much that I want to erase it but I would love to re-experience the feeling of my second wedding. I'd love to spend time with my Father and the rest of the family that had passed on.

My life turned out fine.

I'd love to spend time with my Father
I once told my mother that at the time was 95, "Mom if I died tomorrow I want you to know that I have done everything that I ever wanted to do in my life. I am a happy man".
Yeah, My Dad was a great guy and supported everything I did. He made it to 89. His last words to me were "I just want one more year ".

Last edited:
View attachment 1094556

I posted this in the meme thread but I wanted to comment further without clogging up the thread with extended commentary.
It might be a symptom of a man that is on the downhill slope of life but I love thinking about days gone by. I think of it often. I don't fool myself into thinking that everything from way back then was always better than today but some things really were.
I like time travel movies and TV shows. In some , they caution that any changes made while in the past could have a terrible impact on the future. I agree with the meme above. I wouldn't change anything. My life turned out fine. I just think that there are some events that happened that were so deep and impactful, I would love to feel that way again.
Nothing compares to the thrill of a "first time". Not just in sex but in love, the first job, the first car, the first house, your first Million.....(Still waiting on that)

There was a movie several years ago. "Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind".
It was about a guy that loved and lost and because the pain hurt him so much, he wanted the memory of the ex erased from his mind.
I don't have anything that hurt so much that I want to erase it but I would love to re-experience the feeling of my second wedding. I'd love to spend time with my Father and the rest of the family that had passed on.
Yes, I wish I could do that also. So much I would change.

Yeah?
I wonder how many of us have regrets versus those that are content with their choices.

Just a quote from my Father. "It don't have to look good to go fast and win".
He was my pit crew and bleach box guy back in the 70's drag racing.
I can still see him holding on to my car during a burn out at the track(back when we used to really use bleach).

I think most people would want to change some things, especially bad choices we made. But I wonder how many bad things that happened to us were springboards for us doing and/or living life the way we do now. Without the bad things, would we be who we are today? I doubt it.

I figure if I did just ONE thing different, any day, any time.... everything after that changes; and I may have been put in the wrong place at the wrong time......I'm still here, life is pretty good, so I don't question any of it

I saw that and I had the same thoughts as you. I think going forward I need to slow down and let those good feelings sink in

I have had thoughts of riding my bike, jumping them, breaking parts and mowing lawns-raking leaves to buy replacement parts!
My newspaper routes, the last day of school each year, the cute girls in school and that nervous feeling I got when I went up to talk to them....

I don't really want to go back in time I just want to stay still where I'm at. I am not a young man but I'm happy and healthy, now it seems time is going so freak'in fast. Life is like a roll of toilet paper......the closer you get to the end the faster it goes. Live it up guys!!!

I would love to have frozen in time at the age of 35. I was in better shape!

14-20 was a blast, glad I survived it....... 35 is when things got a little real, but not complaining. A boy has to grow up some time.

The good old days are now my Dad would say and he was right. We all have good, enjoyable memories; and a few that might not be good ones, but should not be forgotten. What kicks my mind back to old memories? A song, a smell, a taste, a sight, a dream, and an occasional nightmare.

I would not change anything if I could. Too risky.

d05417f2d5b67f159e9cf9b87d4d0889.jpg

Yeah?
I wonder how many of us have regrets versus those that are content with their choices.

I’m not sure that I can adequately explain this, but I’m O.K. with all of the choices I made now, even though I was not happy with those choices at the time, or for a long time after. I’ve been through, and done some terrible things. I’ve hurt some people that shouldn’t have been hurt, been homeless and slept in parks, taken chances that didn’t work out. But all of the things I’ve been through and done have made me who and what I am today. I’m successful but not rich by most standards, and I am respected as a man of integrity, now. But I had to learn some hard lessons to get where I am.

At 35, I was still building houses and loving it. I just bought the Charger, I was in the early days with Mary, my future wife...

2000.jpg

I would love to have frozen in time at the age of 35. I was in better shape!
My own favorite time would have been pretty close to that as well, perhaps a bit younger...
But here's the thing:
Yes, of course everyone has been through (or caused) experiences they'd like to take another crack at,
only this time with the accumulated wisdom and experience we have now at our disposal.
And yes...
of course all of us have experiences, periods of life we'd kill to live through again, too.

Yeah, I have some unique perspective on these things, of course.
I've seen my own life flash before my eyes on several occasions now, just like those hokey stories
tell about - that does actually happen when you die. I can attest to it. I don't recommend it...
I've not been a very good person always at times earlier in life and I regret every instance of it,
even though I realize folks are human and that's going to happen, too.
Doesn't matter to me - I'm the kind that never cuts myself any slack in those matters.
My wife and my older sister work on me constantly about forgiving myself. Ain't working....

Regrets? There were many opportunities for me to do better in a situation and for whatever reasons
(fear, selfishness, the usual dreg) I didn't and almost immediately wish I had.
I think that's pretty universal for everyone, too - but I also think that forms the foundation of who
we are today and provides some of the impetus for us to do better next time.

Now, the good stuff? God yes, I'd love to relive many wonderful times, of course!
One of the side effects of all my cancers and surgeries and croaking and all that is that I don't sleep
very much anymore - 3 hours a night usually - but the time I actually DO sleep are filled with the
most amazing dream "movies".
They're amazingly well produced, full blown productions full of a certain percentage of real past events
and people I've experienced, placed in situations and times that are familiar - as if I was still that age,
living that life and those people were still in my life.
A continuation if you will...with no guarantee of anything being better or rosy, either.
Sometimes in fact, things were so real that what actually happened in real life is replayed verbatim in
the dream, too.

Those dreams used to really bother me. Thought I might have lost a cog in the ol' wheel....
Now, I realize it's all part of the preparation of what is to come and that's ok.
Lots of folks never get the chance to get things right in their own hearts before they go.
I am truly blessed to be afforded the opportunity and it's ok. :)

When I think of "going back", my thoughts are more of a fly on the wall to observe rather than to change.

Auto Transport Service
Back