• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This should be interesting

Charger 770

Local time
2:30 PM
Reaction score
The curiosity has got the better of me - I have this primo Indy bathtub X ram that Im looking to put on the Hemi, I've rebuilt the the carbs (they were real nice to begin with and have come up a treat) and I have a stash of metering rods n jets. The carbs are 1973 440 based TQs and are matching #s, new choke pulloffs, chokes deleted and choke walls milled, some internal mods as well. A pop off valve has been added to the intake as well.

Ill be adding these eventually, Im running dual widebands so dialling in idle, cruise and WOT should'nt be too hard. Its going to be very interesting to see how it pans out anyone here done anything similar ?

I drew some inspiration from this.....

thermoquadlinkage004.jpg

TQ 2.jpg

TQ10.jpg

TQ11.jpg

View attachment 588250 TQ8.jpg

Last edited:
The curiosity has got the better of me - I have this primo Indy bathtub X ram that Im looking to put on the Hemi, I've rebuilt the the carbs (they were real nice to begin with and have come up a treat) and I have a stash of metering rods n jets. The carbs are 1973 440 based TQs and are matching #s, new choke pulloffs, chokes deleted and choke walls milled, some internal mods as well. A pop off valve has been added to the intake as well.

Ill be adding these eventually, Im running dual widebands so dialling in idle, cruise and WOT should'nt be too hard. Its going to be very interesting to see how it pans out anyone here done anything similar ?

I drew some inspiration from this.....

View attachment 588248

View attachment 588242
View attachment 588245

View attachment 588244
View attachment 588250 View attachment 588243
I just drooled all over my keyboard.

Looks great! Did you use adapters to run the TQs or is the intake spread bore? I've never seen anybody runs 2 TQs, that oughta wake it up.

Looks great! Did you use adapters to run the TQs or is the intake spread bore? I've never seen anybody runs 2 TQs, that oughta wake it up.

Yup fabbed up some alum 1" aluminum spacers to suit the TQs, kinda itching to see how it will go after Ive laid down some times with the custom Domi.

Ummm ok, has anyone else run dual TQs - would love to know ;)

Really like the colors and to have two tqs on one engine hit the hammer and whiplash at the same time.lol

Ummm ok, has anyone else run dual TQs - would love to know ;)

All things being in sync - proper CFM rating and fuel flow for the subject engine - square bore carbs are usually the first choice for performance engines. Chrysler didn't use spread bore Thermo-Quads until '71, the beginning of the smog and performance downturn era. There is a performance advantage in both torque and horsepower with a square bore design. That doesn't mean your planned dual TQ design won't work. I am not a fan of the TQ; wasn't in the '70s and not one now. Anyway, I'm not sure you are going to find many dual spread bore setups. But that doesn't mean you can't make it work for the engine you have. Keep posting as you make progress.

That intake looks similar to a Indy 400-25 on the outside. With the Hemi spacing the large throttle bores will be feeding cyl #3,4,7,8. With the small bores feeding #1,2,5,6. The good thing is the plenum is big so these cylinders will get some help. My bet the cylinder to cylinder will still won't be ideal w/o some type of dams, cross jetting, etc. On a wedge this style manifold can make good power on a big motor.
Doug

H Doug, yes I'm aware of how well this intake can work and have followed your posts both here and on Moparts - very good stuff indeed.

What I'm really curious about is how it would handle dual TQs with its spreadbore configuration as opposed to dual squarebore Eddy carbs.

As you mentioned, cyl to cyl might be different but is this simply because of the spreadbore carbs?

Thanks !

H Doug, yes I'm aware of how well this intake can work and have followed your posts both here and on Moparts - very good stuff indeed.

What I'm really curious about is how it would handle dual TQs with its spreadbore configuration as opposed to dual squarebore Eddy carbs.

As you mentioned, cyl to cyl might be different but is this simply because of the spreadbore carbs?

Thanks !

Not to speak for Doug, but I believe that is what he is saying. The TQs size disparity between the primary and secondary bores may provide a leaner fuel/air mixture in some cylinders, or a rich mixture in some, depending on how the carbs are jetted. Could present a carb tuning challenge on this application.

Not to speak for Doug, but I believe that is what he is saying. The TQs size disparity between the primary and secondary bores may provide a leaner fuel/air mixture in some cylinders, or a rich mixture in some, depending on how the carbs are jetted. Could present a carb tuning challenge on this application.

Yes on the same page. I guess itll be interesting to see how it goes once the swap is done. I have a set of square bore 800 Thunder AVS carbs I could get my hands on as well, but Id really like to have a crack at making the TQs work.

I have a hunch they will once dialled in properly :thumbsup:

Auto Transport Service
Back