• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Those pesky Thunderbirds are buzzing the house again.

SteveSS

Local time
3:19 AM
Reaction score
It's graduation time again at the Air Force Academy and the Thunderbirds are always a part of the ceremony. They're out there practicing today but I don't know how they going to do much. We've got a real low cloud ceiling. I can't see the tops of the mountains across the valley. They had about 2500' of visibility top to bottom.

Think of it like this. On the west, there are mountains. On the east there's me. Between the two, nature carved out a valley. That's where the highway and the AFA reside. When the jets make their U-turns they are really close to our houses.

So this would be one looking from the east to the west against the mountains we see to our west. I hear them ripping over my head as I write this.

REIS-AIR-FORCE-ACADEMY-1024x572.jpg

Last edited:
They were here a few months ago practicing....

You have no idea the level of excellence in academics, physical condition, and leaderhip these young people have just to be accepted let alone graduate. We have one young man we are sponsoring this year. I'm taking him to see Top Gun with my daughter on Friday even though that's the evil Navy aviators. If you ever come to Colorado Springs visit the Air Force Academy and hopefully interact with some cadets. It will make you proud to be an American.

I live in a flight pattern. Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst
We usually get the transport planes flying low, 3 or 4 at a time just after dinner when I want to sit down and relax.
Then we get the jets playing during the day.
Ed

We used to live in the flight path of McConnell AFB in Wichita. When those B1B's did a Turn-n-Burn with afterburners on it would shake the windows. I was out mowing the lawn once and a 747 flew by with a space shuttle on its back.

Our shop is in flight path of Nellis Air Force Base and many a days we can watch the Thunderbirds practice from our break room window, its pretty awesome to see and hear.

Very Cool. Love watching those. Seen those at Fairchild AFB quite a few years ago. Along with the Stealths.

I went there 99-01. Played ball. Left before is signed my commitment for a few various reasons. Definitely some awesome experiences while I was there though. The flyovers during formation was always cool.

One year the Republicans were standing firm on not increasing the federal deficit. That meant shutting down the government temporarily. The Democrats were trying to make things look embarrassing for the United States like shutting down the Vietnam War Memorial in Washington DC. They cut the funding For the Thunderbirds to do the USAFA flyover. The Texas State Air Force came up with all their cool WWII fighters and bombers and did the flyovers for free. So very cool on many levels.

This is not political it's history.

Last edited:
Pomona (ACY) in south NJ has C130s and the 177th ANG F-16s as well as tail # 28000 & 29000 747s doing "training" touch & goes, AWESOME!! Once in a while see them from work or fly over as driving to/from work.

Several years ago I was at a SCCA central division autocross at Grissom ANG near Peru Indiana. Working as a "starter" for my heat. B mods were lined up running and waiting to run. In those days most of B mods were formula Atlantics, once strapped in with a helmet on you really can't see anything behind you. Don't know why they were there but four B-1 bombers were
departing, their takeoff rolls starting about 200 yards from our courses starting line. A B-1 on burner makes a lot of noise and when the first one powered up and the "thunder" started to roll across us, several of drivers started looking down at their gauges and cockpit trying to figure how what the hell was wrong with their cars. They could hear and feel something strange but had no idea why the car was vibrating differently.
We held the start cause everybody that could was watching the planes leave. Not sure about what I'm guessing was some rule bending, but the last two did a formation takeoff, burners on and a few seconds holding the brakes to spool up....serious thunder!
Showing who had the real horsepower.

Three B-26 bombers were buzzing the neighborhood at Sun N Fun circa 2014 or 2015... Made my home shake.... Amazing..
PS.. Some Transplant complained and it stopped

Awesome Steve, Thanks !!!
All we have here are Chem-trails...

Last edited:
Three B-26 bombers were buzzing the neighborhood at Sun N Fun circa 2014 or 2015... Made my home shake.... Amazing..
PS.. Some Transplant complained and it stopped
Freakin transplants ruin everything! GTFOH

Used to camp near the bombing range by NAS Fallon and they would pass by our camp. If you did a wiggle with a flash light they would do the same and then go full vertical with after burn. our own private air show. Think that was Top Gun at the time? On they way home to Reno would stop by The Headquartes Bar in Fallon and buy the Boys some beers. Kind of miss N. Nevada.

I live near the Ocala national forest, and you can hear when they are using the bombing range. I love stuff that goes boom!!! Except engines.

Auto Transport Service
Back