• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thought I would share the Motor Install...

Great looking engine. Congrats on the safe installation.

Everything looks great! Nice when stuff just works.

Yep it is

Everything looks great! Nice when stuff just works.

Install wise..Yes it is. But now I have situation where the motor has a sudden stop to it when I rotate the crank bolt on the front to align the flex plate to the torque converter. Converter spins freely with no issues but the motor will stop with a "bump" when I rotate the crank bolt and this occurs in the opposite 360 degree direction as well. Motor is a re-built that came from a C Body. The C Body oil pan and pick up were swapped to the 402 pan and a correct oil pickup. The motor would turn over by hand with the C Body pan and pick up but now with the new pan and pick up it stops. Me thinks that one of the crank journals or something else is catching something now after the swap. You can clearly feel and hear it in the oil pan area. Down side to this is I have to jack the car up and put it on stands, drop the center link and remove the pan to inspect. Anyone here have a similar occurrence....:confused: :banghead:

Last edited:
Ahh, man, that sucks!! The 402 pick up has a bend in it and that may be what's hitting. I spent some time on the engine stand carefully bending and tweaking the pickup to clear everything and to have it about 3/8" off the bottom of the pan, so I can see how this can happen. Just a little bend at the threads will make a huge change in the location of the screen. Careful while bending because the sharp thread root is a stress riser and it may crack if muscled around too much.

I like your car by the way. I have a green 66 Bel II but it's no where as nice as your car.

Ahh, man, that sucks!! The 402 pick up has a bend in it and that may be what's hitting. I spent some time on the engine stand carefully bending and tweaking the pickup to clear everything and to have it about 3/8" off the bottom of the pan, so I can see how this can happen. Just a little bend at the threads will make a huge change in the location of the screen. Careful while bending because the sharp thread root is a stress riser and it may crack if muscled around too much.

I like your car by the way. I have a green 66 Bel II but it's no where as nice as your car.

Thanks...That has me worried but I will take it easy. And I might add that my theory is the same as you mentioned. Here is some pics for all to see what I have been working on these past 2 years. Enjoy...

http://s793.photobucket.com/albums/yy220/wrtuckeriii/Daffy/

Auto Transport Service
Back