• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Throttle Cable Too Short

TLH101

Local time
6:48 AM
Reaction score
What throttle cable do I need for the Edelbrock 1406 on a cast iron manifold? 1963 Dodge 330 with 318 Poly.
The stock cable is too short to use, even with the Edlebrock cable adapter. Also need to extend the throttle valve rod.

thumbnail_20210426_163611.jpg

The longest cable is from a Slant 6 engine.Or aftermarket(not my favorite).
You can extend the throttle kick down rod using a threaded rod coupler from the hardware store.
On my 63 I got a universal Spectre throttle cable from
AutoZone. In the photo you will see the coupler on the kick down rod.
IMG_0002.jpg

You can extend the throttle kick down rod using a threaded rod coupler from the hardware store.
View attachment 1174958
Thanks for that info. I had considered the rod coupler method. Will look into that cable. Does the cable have the correct mounting at the pedal and floorboard?

Just make an extension for the throttle cable also. I wouldn’t use that aftermarket stuff, it will not attach well. And what is the quality compared to the original?

More likely that you will need to use a later cable attaching bracket that locates the cable further back and up higher since you are using an adapter plate that raises the whole assembly. The other problem is that it is a poly engine and little is available.
The other option is getting a new aftermarket 4 BBL. intake that uses modern parts.

What throttle cable do I need for the Edelbrock 1406 on a cast iron manifold? 1963 Dodge 330 with 318 Poly.
The stock cable is too short to use, even with the Edlebrock cable adapter. Also need to extend the throttle valve rod.

View attachment 1174922
I've used a piece of 1/8" x 1/2" flat stock (hardware store) to make cable extensions successfully in the past. Just drill a hole in each end.
Mike

This is my Poly. The cable is barely long enough but works. What I had to do is invert the small hold down clamp on the bracket for the cable and kickdown. There is a small square slot on the top of the bracket that orients the clamp to the centerline of the engine. I had to reposition the bolt by drilling a hole so the clamp is oriented to the outer edge of the engine. The bolt just presses out then back in to the new hole.
I picked up about 1.5 inches that way by straightening out the cable. Hope this helps.

IMG_1890.jpg IMG_1891.jpg

The Spectre cable has all the atachments.
As I stated not the best choice but when you are stuck on a weekend and want to get the car running...
I like VFilms set up.

View attachment 1174958
Nice setup. Getting this linkage to work right is a bitch, but seems like you got it.

I use a Mancini cable, many choices, fit and work well. Buy what you need.

Auto Transport Service
Back