• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Throttle Return Spring

Red63440

Local time
6:32 PM
Reaction score
Is anyone using a double return spring set up..one being long and then one running inside that one or is everyone only using one?

Two is definitely a safety if one breaks. The manufacturer started doing it for this reason and almost any track with a tech inspection will require it.

I have a set from my old stock, will be using it. Thanks!

Mine only had one, but after reading about this in another thread, I added the inner spring.

Double for me as well.
Had a single break years ago. Throttle cable is tuff to get off the floor with your toe at max rpm.
Shut the ignition off , that 383 dieseled for a long time.

Oh yea! A surprise Uncontrolled acceleration will tighten your *** up real fast with fear! Even more so when the end of the road (or obstacle) is in front of you coming up real fast!

A broken motor mount can create some pucker power.

I was test driving a 70 Continental with a 460 for a "sticky" gas pedal. Stopped at a busy intersection and just tapped on the gas pedal while holding the brakes and she went full throttle. Tires smoking, inching into the middle of the intersection with both feet on the brake pedal. Instinct kicked in and I reached for the key to shut it down. That was a scary one that I'll never forget.

As the engine raises up because of the broken mount, it's pulling on the accelerator cable (chain reaction) and it's full throttle it less than a second.

Isn't/wasn't that the way they came from the factory? A ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!

beerestoration2017 725.JPG

Have 2 springs on my xram but doesn't help if you screw up. Was at a NeHOA meet in Ny came out in the morning to start my car. Hit the gas and ready to hit the key then realized gas stuck to the floor. Bellcrank went over center. Tried to to see if it would do it again out of curiosity nope. Been driving like that for awhile. Took both arms off and lengthened them 4 turns. Yes they had lock nuts.

Hi Fran,....Big thx for your Bellcrank "Over Center" stuck throttle safety reminder !! Had a cross-ram Race Hemi Bellcrank (A990 motor) stuck wide open low psi wrinkle wall cheaters on a narrow curvd street concrete underpass experience back in '72 ! ... That'll Deff tighten your pucker ! ...Keep those return spring anchor points way Above pivot pin ! Thx, ...tom.

I have never had a problem with a broken spring but I put a dual spring on my 73 Dodge B100 with Edelbrock carb & intake, looks kida cool with additional benefits of safety.
IMG_6372.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back