• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thumbwheel AM radio wiring Q

Grabbergreendream

Local time
10:22 PM
Reaction score
I finally pulled out a few things to sell so I can buy a few things I need & free up some needed space. One item I have is a very nice thumbwheel AM radio out of a 69 Dart, I believe. I'd like to test it to verify it works. I can do it on a bench that I test CB's on & have an antenna & a speaker, but I need to know which wires go to what. I assume red power, orange illumination, green speaker+, black speaker-, & ground radio body... Is that correct?
Thanks in advance.
0225191005b.jpg
0225191005.jpg
0225191004a.jpg
0225191004.jpg

I finally pulled out a few things to sell so I can buy a few things I need & free up some needed space. One item I have is a very nice thumbwheel AM radio out of a 69 Dart, I believe. I'd like to test it to verify it works. I can do it on a bench that I test CB's on & have an antenna & a speaker, but I need to know which wires go to what. I assume red power, orange illumination, green speaker+, black speaker-, & ground radio body... Is that correct?
Thanks in advance.
View attachment 724982 View attachment 724983 View attachment 724984 View attachment 724985

Correct

Yes, both. Its not in front of me but I always thaught the older radios with the buttons were saved stations so you could find a local station, and save it by pulling out on the button(to reset it) and then push it in to save it. I know thats how my folks GM cars were when I was a kid... I'll have to check & see if this one works the same, but would assume so.

I was asking because it is a very common failure on the thumbwheel radios that the thumbwheel tuning knob won't move the indicator. I have repaired a few with that problem. There is a beveled plastic gear that cracks, but it can be glued back together. That is exactly how the push buttons are set.

Ok, we're on the same page now, sorry. This radio should work without issue, but it has been in a cabinet in the garage since the early 70's. It was my father-in-laws & I got it about 10 yrs ago when he was cleaning out things. He told me the Dart was only a year old when his wife wrecked it... The thumbwheel does move the indicator like it should & I'm going to test it after work tonight.

I should have indicated the reason for the question when I first asked it. Glad to hear it is in good mechanical shape. Those thumbwheel radios are a hot commodity. Be aware that depending on what type of power supply you use that it might cause a hum in the reception. Also, I don't know what your plans for it are, but these radios are usually not interchangeable between A, B, and C bodies because the chrome trim around the dial and buttons can be different.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back