• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thumbwheel radio conversions vs custom auto sound or other new ones

Crider

Local time
2:03 PM
Reaction score
Looking for opinions from those that have had their original radios converted to modern internals. How do you like it, how is the sound quality? Trying to decide between converting my original or to just upgrade to something new like a custom auto sound. So lets here those thoughts

Love it ! Had both my cars done. Sound quality is awesome. My dart only has 1 dual voice coil 4x10 in the dash, my coronet has the same 4x10 but with 2 2way 6x9 in the package tray. I will soon be adding 2 rear speakers to the dart ! If I had to go back in time and choose I would still have the original radios converted. The newer old looking modern radios are cool but definitely don't look the same.
Here's who I used ... https://www.ricksradioconversions.com

Looking for opinions from those that have had their original radios converted to modern internals. How do you like it, how is the sound quality? Trying to decide between converting my original or to just upgrade to something new like a custom auto sound. So lets here those thoughts
The new conversions require new modern speakers.

I had my original radio upgraded by Ralph the Radio Guy in Bartlett, Illinois. All the bells and whistles included. Here are before and after photos. I have extra a/m radios. I’ll be doing a post soon of my dash upgrade.

25C4C1AE-557F-4151-91B4-08B127AD7E05.png 229B0E64-6D09-4D87-9ACA-4D813EB842A7.png

Wards Classic Car Radio repair.
Huntsville Al.
Excellent job and quick turn around.

Conversion costs over $100 more.
Conversion turnaround is usually an issue.

Aftermarket look-alikes look the same unless you look very close.

Why not make you original thumb wheel radio work and get a $100 modern stereo and speaker system and hide it?

I read here that Wards Father passed, a great loss. They may be closed. Excuse me if I’m mistaken.

Greg's Father did pass away and he has decided to no longer to continue the business. A great loss to Greg and to the hobby.

How much did that conversion set you back? I have a good AM radio
So there may be some variables of condition of the original radio, like function, chrome and plastic lens etc. I had the fmr 2.8 btu25 and optional amp outputs installed if I wanted more than the 180 watts/45 watts per channel it comes with. I looked up Aurora installers, he was local, the cost is comparable with other Aurora dealers. Now this is Ralph’s business so I will pm you or anyone else my cost and try to answer questions. I was/am very satisfied. Hope this helps. He does mail order.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back