• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Time for a fuel return line…

Huicho417

Local time
9:47 AM
Reaction score
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!! Very happy this year for everyone’s advice I have gotten throughout my Coronets restoration.

My car is finally running good after battling issues with brakes, transmission linkage and leaks. I also tuned it and at 16 degrees BTDC I have 20 mercury inches of vacuum, idling at about 650 rpm.

My issue is that every now and then I have an extended crank before it starts. Initially on the morning it starts great, but then I have to pump it a little to get it started. Not a big issue but it’s getting annoying. I upgraded to an edelbrock four barrel with matching intake and installed a bypass fuel regulator but have not done return line. I am now seeing all signs for vapor lock with the head end setup. Bubbling in the filter and hissing when I remove the gas cap.

What is the best routing for a return line? My plan is to come off the pressure regulator with a 1/4” fuel hose an maybe run along the side supply line. I also found a fitting on Amazon that I am thinking about installing onto the fuel sender. That way I can remove the sender and not worry about shavings falling into the tank. What do y’all think? Any recommendations?

85ADC165-53E7-4448-9886-68D0890947F6.jpeg 77EECEB0-8861-461C-A09E-705E80C997E4.jpeg

Hissing when you remove the gas cap would indicate, to me anyhow, that your tank vent lines are plugged... or your car is supposed to be using a vented cap. That info I don't know for your year/model.

I do have a vented gas cap. Is it possible the cap is not set up correctly to vent? Any way I can check that?

Leave the cap off and see if the bubbles go away. Sounds like the cap is not venting and to suck fuel the tank needs air behind it to "fill" the tank. Sounds like it's sucking that air from a loose fuel line prior to the pump instead... so it's showing up in the fuel filter.

my question is how did it run before the new carb and intake?

I did not run the car with pre previous 2 barrel carb and intake. I purchased the car two years ago and decided to make the upgrades rather than have to mess with the old parts.

Auto Transport Service
Back