• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Time / parts required to install charcoal canister

Maxxx

Local time
3:45 PM
Reaction score
My 72 satellite has an empty tube (or two) coming out of the fuel tank and I've been told installing a charcoal canister there will keep the fuel smell down in the garage. I'm looking for a mechanic to do the work. Any idea what my expectations should be with respect to parts and labor? I would be happy going with a generic part, not at all looking for specific retro anything for my particular model.

I would just cap the extra tubes. I don't know exactly how a 72 tank is vented, but you should make sure that it is. Other than that the extra tubes for the carbon canister are useless IMO.

For ’72, the evaporative recover system also serves as the fuel tank vent, can’t just cap them off. There are two different systems that year, before or after April ’72 production. Are the vent nipples at the driver’s rear or the upper front of the tank? Check that the fuel tank vapor separator is still present and functional. Check for rust through holes in the separator and dry rotted hoses. The ’72 charcoal canister is a one-year only design and a bit scarce now in functional shape. ‘73 and up are more common but will require a carb with the correct purge port for the system to be fully functional.

I haven't put my 73 canister back in yet, but I did connect the purge port on the carb to the vent line from the tank.

It seems to be working as I never smell fuel odor and after removing the stuck shuttle valve in my vapor separator, it's now a constantly open vent system.

Not sure what the purge port looks like on a 72, but you could try that.

Agree that I see 73 and up style canisters laying in people's discard piles.

Used to be lots of folks simply removed them, possibly thinking they were smog related.

In fact, they help MPG (and eliminate fuel smell) with no cost to performance.

I haven't put my 73 canister back in yet, but I did connect the purge port on the carb to the vent line from the tank.

It seems to be working as I never smell fuel odor and after removing the stuck shuttle valve in my vapor separator, it's now a constantly open vent system.

Not sure what the purge port looks like on a 72, but you could try that.
No dedicated purge port on ’72 OE carbs, it’s two stage purge canisters(4-lines), that was taped into the PCV line for purge and controlled by a vacuum signal taped into the vacuum advance port.

Carful with direct connecting the tank vent to the purge port, the canister has an internal restriction of about .030” IIRC, could lean out the calibration by-passing the canister.

I have an original 72 canister and brackets available, if interested PM me

Auto Transport Service
Back