• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Time to Sell the Charger... Need Some Advice!

RockyPat

Local time
1:46 PM
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I am getting ready to sell my 1971 Charger "G" code. It is a green on green bench seat car with a black vinyl top. 8.25 rear end. Mostly a complete car with good glass and trim. Partial build sheet and partial fender tag.
AJSY4629.JPG
ChargerWebsite.JPG
ACDK4484.JPG
Clean CA title in my name.

It turns out that the car now has a LA 360 and a non numbers matching 904. I got it to run yesterday, sounds decently healthy. New distributor cap, rotor, points, plugs and wires, etc. Essentially a little tune-up. It ran using a gas can and fuel line.

Brakes do not work, but the car does roll freely.

The car has a bent passenger side front frame rail.

As the car sits right now, it has the grill, fenders, and hood taken off because I was going to address the frame rail. In addition, all the interior trim has been removed.

There is some rust in the rear quarter on the passenger side, rear floor section, and trunk. Overall, not a rust bucket.

Unfortunately, I have found a new project that is in better condition, so this Charger has to go. Keeping both is too much for me.

Now my question is, what is the best way to sell my car in terms of work vs. selling price.

I plan on putting the fenders, grill, bumper, and hood back on.

I also plan on putting the interior back together.

It will have keys that go with the vehicle.

Should I do all of this work prior to selling the car? I am familiar with cars being "complete and put together" supposedly selling for more money. Have you guys found this to be true? A car in many pieces may scare people off.

I am also planning to put some cop wheels with good tires on the car to make it a roller.

What is a reasonable price to ask for on this car? What kind of price should I expect to sell the car for?

Any other help would be greatly appreciated.

I am a young man who has never sold a car before.

I hate to see it go, but I cannot hold on to it.

Thanks, everyone!

Sorry for the dumb red lines.

The car is in CA, FYI.

This is my thoughts only. A car in that condition,no more money should be spent on it.
You know what you have in it.Figure out if you can re-coop your money and if possible get a bit more.
Someone may be looking for that year and is willing to take on such a project.
Again my thoughts only.

I avoid buying projects that someone has disassembled and probably lost parts to. I would screw it all together so a person can see that it is complete. To me it's the difference in being interested and forgetting and looking for a better one.
Another thing is a title. Being Canadian I always look for cars with little rust but it is impossible to bring them here without a clear title. I could see this car selling to a Canadian pretty easily.

Last edited:
Price, no clue. I also agree that it needs put back together. I passed on a really nice 69 satellite because the guy had disassembled the car and had no clue where the fasteners were. Hard to see what all is there when it's in pieces. When it's all together, even the thickest brain can see what they are getting and what needs to be done.

Hi folks,

I am getting ready to sell my 1971 Charger "G" code. It is a green on green bench seat car with a black vinyl top. 8.25 rear end. Mostly a complete car with good glass and trim. Partial build sheet and partial fender tag. View attachment 1288315 View attachment 1288316 View attachment 1288317 Clean CA title in my name.

It turns out that the car now has a LA 360 and a non numbers matching 904. I got it to run yesterday, sounds decently healthy. New distributor cap, rotor, points, plugs and wires, etc. Essentially a little tune-up. It ran using a gas can and fuel line.

Brakes do not work, but the car does roll freely.

The car has a bent passenger side front frame rail.

As the car sits right now, it has the grill, fenders, and hood taken off because I was going to address the frame rail. In addition, all the interior trim has been removed.

There is some rust in the rear quarter on the passenger side, rear floor section, and trunk. Overall, not a rust bucket.

Unfortunately, I have found a new project that is in better condition, so this Charger has to go. Keeping both is too much for me.

Now my question is, what is the best way to sell my car in terms of work vs. selling price.

I plan on putting the fenders, grill, bumper, and hood back on.

I also plan on putting the interior back together.

It will have keys that go with the vehicle.

Should I do all of this work prior to selling the car? I am familiar with cars being "complete and put together" supposedly selling for more money. Have you guys found this to be true? A car in many pieces may scare people off.

I am also planning to put some cop wheels with good tires on the car to make it a roller.

What is a reasonable price to ask for on this car? What kind of price should I expect to sell the car for?

Any other help would be greatly appreciated.

I am a young man who has never sold a car before.

I hate to see it go, but I cannot hold on to it.

Thanks, everyone!
Price, no clue. I also agree that it needs put back together. I passed on a really nice 69 satellite because the guy had disassembled the car and had no clue where the fasteners were. Hard to see what all is there when it's in pieces. When it's all together, even the thickest brain can see what they are getting and what needs to be done.
Yep. What do you have in it? (don't need to know but you need the answer yourself) Get your money back and walk away. If it's cheap enough it would be a good parts car for someone else. From what I see $1500 would be reasonable.

This is my thoughts only. A car in that condition,no more money should be spent on it.
You know what you have in it.Figure out if you can re-coop your money and if possible get a bit more.
Someone may be looking for that year and is willing to take on such a project.
Again my thoughts only.

Thank you for the input. I am definitely trying to avoid spending any more money on the car at this point. I hope someone sees the car as a project worth working on.

I avoid buying projects that someone has disassembled and probably lost parts to. I would screw it all together so a person can see that it is complete. To me it's the difference in being interested and forgetting and looking for a better one.
Another thing is a title. Being Canadian I always look for cars with little rust but it is impossible to bring them here without a clear title. I could see this car selling to a Canadian pretty easily.

Thanks for your response. I appreciate hearing your point of view as a buyer. I will try to put everything back together as best I can to accurately show how complete the car is. Good to consider potential Canadian buyers!

Thank you for the help. At this point, I will be reassembling everything. I completely understand walking away from a good car that is apart because it's hard to tell what is missing.

Yep. What do you have in it? (don't need to know but you need the answer yourself) Get your money back and walk away. If it's cheap enough it would be a good parts car for someone else. From what I see $1500 would be reasonable.

Thanks Mike. That is exactly what I am trying to do. I appreciate the help!

Auto Transport Service
Back