• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Timing chain cover gasket leaks coolant when water pump bolts removed? What to do?

idrivemopar

Local time
10:28 PM
Reaction score
So, I removed my water pump, was going to replace the gasket and use some thread sealant on the bolts, and was blowing air into the bolt holes that go through the timing chain cover, and noticed there was air coming out around the timing chain cover where the gasket goes.

So, should I change the timing chain cover gasket, or will it reseal when I install the water pump and torque it down? If not, can I change it without removing the engine and can I do it without having to change the oil pan gasket?

This is on a 340.

If its not one thing its another!

Should seal up when you tighten it up again. But, ive never blown air into the holes before so who knows. As long as the gasket didnt blow out you should be ok

For sure thread sealant on those bolts. It's normal on an a-motor to leak coolant like that when you pull off the pump.

If you have to replace, you should be able to get to without pulling motor. I did a complete cam change with my 383 still in car. Radiator had to come out and fan, pump etc,

Good luck..

Auto Transport Service
Back