• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Timing Chain Opinions

rirealtor

Local time
2:38 PM
Reaction score
Final Assembly of the 496 and I am having some second thoughts on the selected timing chain. Purchased the "best" version of the 440Source timing chain set which advertises as "one of best on market, regardless of price" and is US made billet gears (although no mention of chain). Price reflects at 129$.
However- recent youtube video has one failing (chain stretch) after 8000 miles, so wondering if i should yank it out and replace it with a ...Cloyes or other? Any real world experiences greatly appreciated.

I’ve ran Edelbrock sets but my last two have been Howard’s brand. I pulled a 3 bolt set out of my last setup. Maybe 7000 miles. It was as tight as new. I have two Edelbrock sets that had slack at 3000 miles.
I would have reused the Howard’s but I switched to a 1 bolt cam. It has the multiple key ways for advance and retarding the cam. It was around $130.

I used a Cloyes on my 340 and after 8000 miles it was like new. I would use the brand again for sure.
It is all about the quality of the chain IMO.
If the chain has play/slop if twisted/bent "sideways" if you get my meaning it is probably low quality.

Disclaimer=all chains will stretch. BUT....Cloyes (and possibly others) premium sets use the IWIS (German-made) chain and will not stretch like the others in as short a time period. There are many sets on the market that have USA-made sprockets but still use an Indian(Rolon)/Taiwanese/wherever chain, and it's been my experience that those chains stretch a minimum of 2 degrees within the first few hundred miles. I guess they don't expect anyone to pull s**t apart and check it so soon...but I will. So, if you use a set that incorporates one of those chains, you'd be smart to install your cam with an extra couple degrees of advance. This is one of those places where it's not necessarily a good idea to cut corners...

I've used Cloyes on just about everything I've built, they have a good reputation and I've yet to have a failure. 440 source seams to be more geared towards "affordable" performance parts which is great but on something like a timing chain I want excellence.

I've used Cloyes on just about everything I've built, they have a good reputation and I've yet to have a failure. 440 source seams to be more geared towards "affordable" performance parts which is great but on something like a timing chain I want excellence.
:thumbsup:

Thank you all for the quick and detailed responses. Not something I want to risk. Out goes the existing set.

The chain is the most important part.

I have a 'free' Rolon chain to give away. Says Rolon on one side of the links & India on the other side...

So a call to 440Source confirms that the chain used on my part (114-1001) is SA Gear, and made in US. Rollers are fully machined, not split seamed. Even found a video on Youtube comparing the SA to Iwis chain.

Auto Transport Service
Back