• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

timing chain question

OldToys

Local time
1:42 PM
Reaction score
I had the oil pan off replacing the rear seal and noticed this plate with chips in it. I believe this is the chain oiler is that correct? and why would it be getting damaged is it installed correct?
timing chain.jpg

It appears that the oil slinger was installed backwards. Not a chain oiler, helps to keep oil from the front seal.

Thanks for the reply,
That’s what is was afraid of, I’m sure it can do some major damage if it continues to come apart.

I have one that looks just like that. I didn't notice the appearance until I was re-installing with a new chain sprocket set. The slinger was installed correctly when I took it apart. I grabbed another slinger that I knew to be OEM. The OEM part had a larger offset between the surface that is sandwiched between the damper & crank sprocket and the flat surface around the chain links. Result is the chain rides against the slinger.

This piece was installed correctly, not backwards.

20200531_090741.jpg

Last edited:
At the very least, you'll have to take the oil pump apart and inspect it. It probably
inhaled the metal debris and damaged it. If not, you'll have peace of mind.

I'd sure pull the timing cover & get a look at the slinger. My oil pump was good, no damage. Metal dust must have been very fine.

Frustrating to see.

This seems to be happening ALOT more as non car people are getting into cars.

I’m sorry but most you tube videos suck. Just look up something you know real well and then watch a how to video and see the mid-information. These people (most) are hacks with very little knowledge.

I’ve got an engineer neighbor that watches you tube on how to work on his car. He won’t believe me, a multi decade car shop wrench and certified mech.

I have noted before on the forum, if I recall correctly, Chrysler stopped installing slingers when they came out with the double lip oil seal.
Mike

I’ve got an engineer neighbor that watches you tube on how to work on his car. He won’t believe me, a multi decade car shop wrench and certified mech.
Know exactly what you mean. Got more than my fill at the refinery machine shop when the newbies came through with their first major 'project'. It usually entailed a small shaft with a bearing fit that was close to the center of the shaft.....but it was a tad smaller than the rest of the shaft. The first time I got one I didn't look at it close enough but caught it before doing any real work. About a year later, another one with the same drawing showed up but he got it without too much 'instruction' lol. Another 2 years go by and there it is again. Handed it back and told him and said "can't get there from here" and he didn't understand so I showed him and he still wasn't getting it. Asked him how did he expect to get a ball bearing onto a fit that's smaller than the rest of the shaft? Then he said just make the shaft! Told him to go waste someone else's time because I wasn't going to take the heat for machining something that I should already know and do know won't work and walked away.

I have one that looks just like that. I didn't notice the appearance until I was re-installing with a new chain sprocket set. The slinger was installed correctly when I took it apart. I grabbed another slinger that I knew to be OEM. The OEM part had a larger offset between the surface that is sandwiched between the damper & crank sprocket and the flat surface around the chain links. Result is the chain rides against the slinger.

This piece was installed correctly, not backwards.

View attachment 957453

Hmm I wonder how much clearance is "safe"? Mine has right about .030 between the chain pins and the slinger. It's a repro.....

Hard to believe repops would be different enough to cause that problem but it wouldn't be the first time to see simple stuff messed up.....

Hard to believe repops would be different enough to cause that problem but it wouldn't be the first time to see simple stuff messed up.....

I put the damaged slinger next to the OEM part and the "dish" of the OEM slinger was visually deeper. I don't recall any difference year to year on slingers. But....?

I put the damaged slinger next to the OEM part and the "dish" of the OEM slinger was visually deeper. I don't recall any difference year to year on slingers. But....?
Have about 7 of them from various years and they all are the same.....

Auto Transport Service
Back