• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Timing Cover Replacement

69SatelliteGuy

Local time
9:12 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys. I've got a '69 Satellite 318 and it's been leaking coolant for a bit. Couldn't place where from, but have now decided it's the timing cover. Now I ordered a gasket kit, but while I'm in there I may as well do some preventative maintenance. I was planning on doing the water pump too. Now my problem is the cover itself. I've read that the cover corrodes and it should be replaced. My go to place is O'Reillys. They can get me a water pump, but the timing cover is a different story.They can only get one for a '70 and later. What's the difference? When I go on like Mancini there is no distinction.

Could be the timing marks. You can always remove yours and inspect it. If it is eroded then get a new one.

Hey guys. I've got a '69 Satellite 318 and it's been leaking coolant for a bit. Couldn't place where from, but have now decided it's the timing cover. Now I ordered a gasket kit, but while I'm in there I may as well do some preventative maintenance. I was planning on doing the water pump too. Now my problem is the cover itself. I've read that the cover corrodes and it should be replaced. My go to place is O'Reillys. They can get me a water pump, but the timing cover is a different story.They can only get one for a '70 and later. What's the difference? When I go on like Mancini there is no distinction.
I assume you are talking about the sealing surfaces pitting....a thin layer of rtv on both sides of the gasket will fix that....

Oh I read that like chunks of it could be corroded off. If it's only pitted then I'll just do like you said and RTV it. Looking at the one on O'Reilly the timing marks are on the other side, could be an issue I suppose. Guess I'll pull the radiator out tomorrow.

I assume you are talking about the sealing surfaces pitting....a thin layer of rtv on both sides of the gasket will fix that....
The round passage from the block to the pump can erode. Not common but I have seen it. If the cover is pitted on the sealing surface its a judgement call. Coolant in the oil is not good. Thats why I said pull it and inspect it.

The 69, and older small block had the cast iron water pump, and had the timing marks on the opposite side of the later engines. Radiator is different too.

On a small block, a common coolant leak is from the underside of the water pump. Bad water pump, not timing cover.

On a small block, a common coolant leak is from the underside of the water pump. Bad water pump, not timing cover.
Common, yes water pump. Just do not overlook the other possibility. First one I saw was a 1970 318 coronet from Florida in about 1976 or 77. Nice low mileage car ended up with an overhaul only to still have coolant in the oil. TIMING COVER. You can not expect what you do not inspect. Lesson for the day.

Common, yes water pump. Just do not overlook the other possibility. First one I saw was a 1970 318 coronet from Florida in about 1976 or 77. Nice low mileage car ended up with an overhaul only to still have coolant in the oil. TIMING COVER. You can not expect what you do not inspect. Lesson for the day.
Did billions of these all day long back in the day. Coolant leak in the front = water pump. There' a little hole underneath that weeps when the pump is going bad.

Did billions of these all day long back in the day. Coolant leak in the front = water pump. There' a little hole underneath that weeps when the pump is going bad.
Sure you did as well as my self and every other mechanic in this world. Point is the cover can have other problems. To ignore it and not looking into it as a possible failure puts a mechanic with any qualifications in a stupid category.

Preventive maintenance did you forget the timing chain????

Try Summit racing. They are pretty good on part's. Had most of what I needed for my 383. You say you had a water leak. More likely the water pump. Water will pour out the inspection hole. Seal goes bad.

So if you need to replace the timing chain cover, the main difference between a 68 and the 70+ that they have listed is the timing marks. The pre 70 used the bolt on marker which is on the passenger side whereas the 70 and later has it moulded on the driver's side. Just keep the original timing marker and reinstall onto the new cover and you'll be fine.

I had this same issue with my 68 Barracuda many years ago and this is what I did. Just time it with the correct marker.

I had the aluminum cover corrode internally and spring a leak on a truck 360. It's probably similar to the 318s.

The cover on my poly went to chit from corrosion at the pump hose and was obvious after a pin leak developed. Removing the hose found lots more corroding. Got lucky finding a cover as poly cover is different than later teen's. As posted, in my experience water pumps can be the more common demon. Skanked pumps can start making a rattling or ticking sound or you may find the pump fan shaft will have a little play in it. Yeah...if anyone goes through the hassle of removing the cover that's the 'time' to replace the chain.

So when I was at work today I was talking about having to do this and the mechanic there said I should do the gears while I'm doing the chain... fact or fiction?

So when I was at work today I was talking about having to do this and the mechanic there said I should do the gears while I'm doing the chain... fact or fiction?
Not necessarily, you can either just replace the chain or buy a complete gear set. Totally up to you.....unless you have some broken teeth!

Not necessarily, you can either just replace the chain or buy a complete gear set. Totally up to you.....unless you have some broken teeth!
I would not mis-match chains and gears. Correct way is to replace both gears and the chain.

I would not mis-match chains and gears. Correct way is to replace both gears and the chain.
Who said anything about mismatch? You can buy chains for whatever gear set you have.....correct way? Correct way to replace a stretched chain is to replace the chain, you do not need gears If there is no damage to them.

Auto Transport Service
Back