• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Timing Light Question

68Charger440HP

Local time
7:47 AM
Reaction score
I’m in the market for a new timing light so I figured I’d check them out on Summit. Well I started looking and noticed that some of them said they were not multi-spark compatible. I am running an MSD 6 so now I’m wondering if I need to get a timing light that says it’s compatible with a multi-spark ignition even though my old one wasn’t and seemed to work just fine.

What are some thoughts on this? Use a regular timing light? For those running an MSD, what timing light are you guys using?

Thanks

I’ve heard in the past that many of the dial back lights say this. Last Christmas I received a cheap Harbor Freight dial-back light.... the thing works perfectly with my 6 AL-2. Not sure what more I’d get out of a light that costs 4 times as much. (???).

Last edited:
https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/timing-light-recommendation.162964/

I have this one and it works great.

download (6) (1).jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...VU8J8&linkId=5d2e4513a36c7b2a5b32554dcec8649c

I’m in the market for a new timing light so I figured I’d check them out on Summit. Well I started looking and noticed that some of them said they were not multi-spark compatible. I am running an MSD 6 so now I’m wondering if I need to get a timing light that says it’s compatible with a multi-spark ignition even though my old one wasn’t and seemed to work just fine.

What are some thoughts on this? Use a regular timing light? For those running an MSD, what timing light are you guys using?

Thanks

If you don't need a dial back light (if your damper is marked out to 90°) than you can use one of the old school metal Craftsman lights. That's what I use. I had to ditch an Innova dial back light because my Pertronix III is multispark.

Last edited:
I have fought this battle and lost. Purchased an Innova dial back light for my 6AL2. When i set timing the light gives you a pretty fat line on balancer. I asked my Dyno Guy and he said, Oh that light don't work on a MSD. Buy this innova without dial back. I did and got about the same line. (Fat) Investigating the only light I found that was MSD compatible was MSDs' and it was very pricey. I bought this light and checked timing first time and got the same fat line. I gave up and use all three. One in trailer one in garage and one in neighbors garage and all give me the same fat line. I'm sure it's something I'm doing. It usually is but O well. Dave

I have MSD and like threewood my old Sears basic timing light works great. Bought it open box on the clearance table for $13 back in the day.

Old school like this one ? Is this the type you mean for MSD ignition ? ? Its a old Monkey Ward.
IMG_2946.jpg

I have not found a dial back light that will work with any multi spark ignitions. Ended up just buying a cheap standard timing light.

It seems like the dial back lights try to count each spark pulse (multiple spark ignition), not sure why the standard lights dont have that problem.

Auto Transport Service
Back