• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Timing light recommendation.

Silverbullet

Local time
10:03 AM
Reaction score
I need to buy a new timing light and looking for recommendations. Should I just get a basic light or, one of these new multi-function lights that I probably won't know how to use? I do like the tach feature on the multi- function ones.
I hate to ask this question but... brand recommendations? One to avoid?

What type of ignition are you running? MSD and other multi spark options have issues with some dial back lights so read the descriptions. Snap-on is nice, some higher end Innova lights. I have an old Sears inductive light (no advance feature) that works well.

I like a dial back light so I can check for total advance, pretty simple to use and not too expensive. Two years ago I asked Santa for a Innova light with dial back and it can also display RPM. This is my favorite timing light.

I like a dial back light so I can check for total advance, pretty simple to use and not too expensive. Two years ago I asked Santa for a Innova light with dial back and it can also display RPM. This is my favorite timing light.

I bought the Innova with those same features recently and really like it.

I bought an Actron through Summit a few years ago on sale. Dial back, digital rpm, good light. Innovas maybe a little more compact, don’t know. Also have a 50 year old Sears that still works great.

I know a cheap guy that bought a Harbor Freight dial back light.
When I..er he checked it against a Snap On dialback, and 2 other old non dialback lights, it read 6 degrees retarded, so instead of the timing being set at 36 degrees, it was 42.
Don't be that guy. (found an old Mac light at a garage sale for $15 like new in the case.)

I have a digital Ferret, works great. Also has rpm readout which is nice for setting idle speed.

Like said. Sears. 40+ years. Hell, I didnt buy it . It was handed down to me. Bout 40 years ago. Who knows about the ones they sell now? I would buy one at a garage sale or something. After i asked a few questions. "Hey lady, how old is this thing?" LOL.

My old Craftsman gave up the ghost last year and I went with the Innova Pro. For $100.00, you can't go wrong. I am very happy with the purchase.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...VU8J8&linkId=5d2e4513a36c7b2a5b32554dcec8649c

download (6).jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back