• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

timing mark off on harmonic balancer?

resq302

Local time
7:16 AM
Reaction score
Getting ready to reinstall the harmonic balancer and I noticed that the timing mark is not lined up with the key way section on the hub. Are these supposed to be lined up? If so, I'm guessing that would mean that the outer ring spun. The rubber piece that is sandwiched between the hub and the outer ring seems to be in good shape and does not appear to be dry rotted or anything.

Your input would be greatly appreciated.

I'm trying to work from memory here but isn't the key at the 12 o' clock position? The 0 degree mark on my timing cover is not at the 12 o' clock it's offset a little bit counter clockwise. However, my timing mark didn't line up either way so I had to find TDC and make my own. I suspected my balancer as slipping but rechecked it and it is still correct with the timing mark I made for it now with about 500 + miles on the motor.

true, but what is to say that the key way is not also supposed to be facing the 0 degree mark? Just want to be sure before put it back on.

Here are a few images from 440source's balancer page... Eagle has this right...

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Ok, great. Thats how ours looks to. Almost at 10 clock position. I must be thinking of my old El camino SS 396 that the timing mark was in line with the key way.

Auto Transport Service
Back