• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tips for hot weather racing

LemonWedge

Local time
7:51 PM
Reaction score
I have a race this coming Saturday, and the weather report says 100*. What do you guys do or use to prepare, stay cool, stay hydrated, and keep the car running correctly in severe conditions?

lots of water /gaterade style drink .
I have a "cool towel" i also use .
We get a lot of hot days and i have to wear a multi layer suit .
No changes to car apart from dialing slower . Keep on top of engine temp , minimal running bonnet up as much as possible .

Tex

Big hat, lots of water, shade. I also have a shade for the car so the sun doesn't heat up the interior between rounds. keep a close eye on the water temps, I also have a pair of lightweight pants (not sure what they are called) that have Velcro up the outside of the legs so I can take them off easy (wear shorts underneath) I've been racing here in Sin City in 106 degree heat - it can be rough!

Lots and lots of water. Try to keep your fuel as cool as possible and pack ice around your intake. The cooler the a/f mixture the better.

all good suggestions above

I'd say also bring a big fan & a generator too,
a battery charger too,
especially if you have an electric water-pump or fans
keep the engine cooling down between rounds

sometimes Heat "will" really messes with trie pressure too
try to keep them shaded when possible
stay on top of them/PSI

if you have an electric fan &/or electric water-pump
run them while cooling it
the generator can help (battery charger) 'to not drain the battery'
while doing that too

if you do use ice for cooling
make sure to get the water (from ice) off the valley etc.
before going to the starting line,
don't need water under the tires

find shade when ever possible, the car & you

good luck

Last edited:
Normally I tow with my F150, but I cleaned up the motorhome figuring it’d be good to have an AC area to chill in. Also prepped a list based on the tips above; felt I was ready to do battle. Then today they cancelled the race. Out of concern for the starting line crew, probably a good call.

I give Action Ange credit for this.
Dad use to take a wet towel and freeze it then when he was going up, he would stick it around his neck before he put his jacket on. If you don't have a freezer, just keep it in your cooler.
He said it made a HUGE difference.

Bought a camper with A/C and generator for race days in the FL sun.
Humidity here is brutal, been considering a dash mounted fan and cool suit as well.

The key to staying strong in the heat is obviously to drink plenty of water, but start early!
If you're hitting the track in the afternoon, start hydrating in the morning. If you wait until you get out there and get busy your body will be playing catch-up and fatigue can set in much easier.

Auto Transport Service
Back