• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tire Preservation Over the Winter

VFilms

Local time
11:30 PM
Reaction score
With the exception of removing the tires and storing them in the basement, what are some ways of protecting tires from possible damage caused by a concrete floor in a non-heated garage over the sometimes extremely cold weather we get here in upstate NY? If I use jack stands, is it preferred to place them under the lower control arms and rear axle? Any issues in doing that? Or any other ideas?
Thanks

this is what I use for storage of the BOGUSBEE

https://www.raceramps.com/car-storage/p/rr-fs/

RAmPS.jpg

In my experience, Taking the tires off the car, filling them with Nitrogen to only ten P.S.I., and storing them in the heated basement
away from any sunlight. The Nitrogen will help keep the rubber from drying out and keeping them out of the sunlight will keep the
U.V. from damaging them.

Park it. If you're really worried about it jack it up and rotate the tires from time to time... then put it back down. If you listen to some here you're supposed to throw your perfectly good tires away every 5 years anyhow... :eek:

Park it. If you're really worried about it jack it up and rotate the tires from time to time... then put it back down. If you listen to some here you're supposed to throw your perfectly good tires away every 5 years anyhow... :eek:
Thanks. Brand new TA Radials. Hope they last longer than 5 years.

The worst thing that happens to tires is that they split and crack from being old because, hey, nothing lasts forever!
Tires have a MFG. date stamped on them for safety reasons. They might look fine, but if you feel safe buzzing your
$120k investment up to 150MPH on seven year old tires, then go for it! We all have to make decisions!

"Some people here" were in the tire business for over 30 years. Saw a lot of "good, old tires" destroy fenders and rocker panels. A few caused major accidents. Worked for Firestone during the 78 and 2000 recalls. We collected a mountain of data on the vehicles that came in for replacements.
Average air pressure was 18 lb.psi . The biggest cause of tire failures is tire pressure just like cooling system problems are the number cause of engine breakdowns. Information and owner maintenance responsibility. Check your oil ? How about check your tire pressure.
Your car should be worth more to you than the cost of a tire.

Last edited:
Average air pressure was 18 lb.psi
Then you can't blame the tires can you!? Want to run around on underinflated tires you'll blow new ones just the same. I've NEVER blown a tire, or been on the side of the road with a flat. Every vehicle and trailers tires gets tested regularily and a gauge is in every glove box. A trailer never moves here before tire check period, let alone a classic car.

Ah don't worry about it. Your tires will die of old age before you wear them out.

I know of more then one Harley owner that
will park their bike on some rubber mats in the garage for any kind of storage.

Saying you have never been on the side of the road or had a flat proves nothing other than your number is coming. Nobody can see inside a tire or hose or anything else for that matter. There are nails, glass etc.. on every road. None can see them all. Do you inspect the backside of your tires ? I bet not. I have seen many customer tires over the years with cuts/splits, objects in the backsides of tires over the years. Nobody did it on purpose nor were they negligent, just happens. Things just wear out/fail etc...Point is every body makes their own decisions on playing the odds. Roll the dice. The house doesn't win every time, nobody does.

I just add some extra air and let it out in the spring.

I put a sheet of plastic under my cars for a barrier on the concrete floor for the winter. I just make sure they have close to max pressure and they're good in the spring when I wake them up.

Last Fall went out for the last cruise of the year, 70 mph running down the road and my drivers front tread separated. Front fender, lower valance, some inner fender work, and tie rods, paint and striping, I learned to pay attention how old my tires are. No signs of tire damage, wheels removed over the winter. You push your luck, it's not if, it's when and how bad.

Mark

Exactly my point. You can't see inside the tire. But you can see a DOT date code. It is not worth the cost of a tire.
Use your old tires for Car Shows or to move your car around the property.
Hi-way speeds put tremendous stress on a tire. Centrifugal forces are trying to peel the tread area off all of the time, old tires just no longer have the flexibility and the tire compounds deteriorate. Age matters.

Auto Transport Service
Back