• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tired of my 383 I want a 6.1 conversion

Gary_gtx67

Local time
7:38 PM
Reaction score
Ok I'm done with this 383 to much money invested and still not alot of power and it over heats. I want to put the srt8 6.1 hemi but with an auto tranny. Ant ideas out there o. What I need to do?

Ok I'm done with this 383 to much money invested and still not alot of power and it over heats. I want to put the srt8 6.1 hemi but with an auto tranny. Ant ideas out there o. What I need to do?

Just FYI, around here (North Texas) a lot of classic Mopars tend to overheat, but I learned something recently about this. I bring this up, because for as long as I have been doing this, I did not understand very well this until last summer.

Tuning.

A buddy of mine who is a professional drag racer said that most overheating issues that he has encountered on classic musclecars is tuning. With a little help and tips I re-tuned my cars and have no overheats since.

Just something to consider before you give up on that 383.

A good set of aluminum heads that breath might be a less expensive way to enjoy your 383. Even if you have the cast 906 heads they do not breath very well in the upper rpm range. They are good for low end torque but starve the cylinders on the bigger end. Your compression, cam, timing, carb and intake will also need to work in harmony. Can you provide any details on these items. Maybe we can help save you some serious $$$$$$.

Auto Transport Service
Back