• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tired Warrior - 68 GTX Restoration

GetX'd

Making Life Great Again!
Local time
5:26 AM
Reaction score
I've owned this Warrior for 42 years - since I was 18 y.o. I drove it for 7 years and made a few changes as you can see - i.e the Six Pack set-up mostly which was not correct until 69 - But I loved it that way and am a build em like you like em guy vs. pure stock. I joined corporate America after college and moved around the country and traveled for work quite a bit. I left the car stored in MN where I'm from for 35 years. I have regrets about that but it was what it was. I finally pulled it out of the storage barn a couple of years ago after some serious health problems forced me to retire. This has always been a bucket list thing - and it well on it's way to full warrior status again. I've gone thru the car from the front to the back - body and mechanics and it will soon be done. The motor was a 440 375 hp six pack. It's now a 494 555 hp six pack. I had an excellent car to start with - but I've been bringing it back to life inside and out. I've posted some of the picks of before I started the restore. It's cost me some serious $$ because I'm not the mechanic or the body man - I have a deep love of the car that only folks like you all can understand. I'm happy to answer any questions and show some of my progress pics - like i say it's nearly finished. Dropped the motor in a month a go. Almost ready for paint! This is what I have available right now.

Attachments

• 100_8318.jpg
    100_8318.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 775
  • 1740_001.jpg
    1740_001.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 730
  • 0813121717a.jpg
    0813121717a.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 744
  • IMG_1069.jpg
    IMG_1069.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 701
  • IMG_1072.jpg
    IMG_1072.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 696
  • IMG_1093.jpg
    IMG_1093.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 699
Quite a story. More pics. Bring it to Fall Fling Van Nuys in October.

Very nice, good luck getting your old buddy back on the road and kicking some butt.

It just goes to show ya that you're never too old to restore an old friend. Welcome aboard

that was a sweet looking car, and it will be again. sucks you lost all that time with the car, but at least you still have it and it wasn't rotting away outside.

Welcome from Maine! That is great! Keep going and keep us posted as you go!

Welcome from NC, nothing like bringing something back to life. I also am working on a 68 GTX so if your have any questions let me know .

These are exactly the kinds of stories that I look for when I log on each day. Congrats on keeping her all these years and double congrats and bringing her back to her former glory!

Love the GTX's! :icon_pray:

Welcome from NC, nothing like bringing something back to life. I also am working on a 68 GTX so if your have any questions let me know .

Thx for the offer. I'm sure I will have questions. Good to connect with a 68 brethren.

Welcome to the site. Great car and story to go along with it. Definitely need more pictures of your progress.

image.jpg

Hey ya go GetX'ed, here is a pic of mine, rebuilding the motor right now. I hope to get it back in by the end of the month. This is a pic several weeks ago when I pushed it outside to clean the engine bay and wash the car.

She's a beauty Bump! You won't believe how much more motivated you get once the heart of car goes back in. I got my motor in about a month or so ago and then took the gloves off. Lots been happening since then. It's nearly all primered and ready for paint - nearly.

Are you going to be painting the X or keeping it original? How's the interior? Have much to do there? I'd post more pics of mine but the cars is in MN and I'm in CA. I'm going back up there in a few weeks and I'll take some more pics and post them so you can see progress. Thx for the pic of yours!

sweeeeet!!! another GTX'er guna be on the road soon...

if either of y'all need any reference pics or anything to help you in your restorations, let me know!

Mario

GTXer_2.jpg

I've owned this Warrior for 42 years - since I was 18 y.o. I drove it for 7 years and made a few changes as you can see - i.e the Six Pack set-up mostly which was not correct until 69 - But I loved it that way and am a build em like you like em guy vs. pure stock. I joined corporate America after college and moved around the country and traveled for work quite a bit. I left the car stored in MN where I'm from for 35 years. I have regrets about that but it was what it was. I finally pulled it out of the storage barn a couple of years ago after some serious health problems forced me to retire. This has always been a bucket list thing - and it well on it's way to full warrior status again. I've gone thru the car from the front to the back - body and mechanics and it will soon be done. The motor was a 440 375 hp six pack. It's now a 494 555 hp six pack. I had an excellent car to start with - but I've been bringing it back to life inside and out. I've posted some of the picks of before I started the restore. It's cost me some serious $$ because I'm not the mechanic or the body man - I have a deep love of the car that only folks like you all can understand. I'm happy to answer any questions and show some of my progress pics - like i say it's nearly finished. Dropped the motor in a month a go. Almost ready for paint! This is what I have available right now.

That is a beautiful color in the pictures, I love the white stripes, you guys with these 68 GTX machines are blessed with some real beauty!! Love the 68 GTX, MHO the best looking of all them with the 70 coming in second!!!

Don't get a big head Mar! lol, You lucky __________ :)

image.jpgimage.jpg

GetX'd the interior came out great once I got it out and cleaned it. The car had been sitting in a garage since 1973 and it was sitting over a drain and the moisture created a lot of mold. I took everything out and cleaned it with soap and water and vinegar and put it back in. Once I started this project I decided to keep everything original.

Auto Transport Service
Back