• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tires from Summit - Order then take wheels to tire shop?

watermelon

Local time
10:15 AM
Reaction score
hi All,

this will be my first rodeo ordering tires off Summit; will be sticking with BF Goodrichs’(Cokers).

so i just need to get these delivered and then head over to the tire shop with wheels so they can mount n balance correct?

just curious if they toss any fees/charges in there besides mounting/balance

thanks,

watermelon

Around here it costs me $20 a tire mounted and balanced. No tax or fees for purchase elsewhere.

Shouldn't be any fees unless you have old tires that you want them to depose of, there's usually a fee for that.

Some slime balls charge a shop supply fee.

If you need valve stems they may want to charge for that, but the place I use will include them if needed.

Just a tidbit.... if you are buying new wheels, you can buy them from Summit along with your tires. They have a tire shoip there that can mount and balance... your tires can be shipped to you, no fees whatsoever, and you stuff arrives ready to bolt on.

hi All,

this will be my first rodeo ordering tires off Summit; will be sticking with BF Goodrichs’(Cokers).

No offense to anyone who owns a
so i just need to get these delivered and then head over to the tire shop with wheels so they can mount n balance correct?

just curious if they toss any fees/charges in there besides mounting/balance

thanks,

watermelon

No offense to anyone that owns a tire shop. But what some shops charge is ridiculous!
I purchased a wheel balancer from jc Whitney many years ago and a manual tire changer from harbor freight. And my local dump takes old tires for free.
I saved hundreds of dollars over the years and at 70mph it's a smooth as glass ride.

Here is another tire option for some in case you are not aware; if you order tires from Wally world, you have two options, one, have them sent directly to you or have them sent to a store that has a tire installation shop. At their tire shop they will mount your tire on your rim for free, but stems, balancing , warrinties are all extra. They will take up to the number of tires ordered for a disposable fee of $1:50 each verses 3:00 bucks each at my local dump.

Good info about Summit tire and wheels coming in ready to install.....was not aware of that.....thanks....

Just a tidbit.... if you are buying new wheels, you can buy them from Summit along with your tires. They have a tire shoip there that can mount and balance... your tires can be shipped to you, no fees whatsoever, and you stuff arrives ready to bolt on.

Yep, that is how these were done a number of years ago. IIRC, they protected the sides of the wheels/tires with cardboard and secured the cardboard with nylon strapping. Cut the straps off and bolt them on.
20160307_101827.jpg

7A74062B-871E-4FF1-8D88-1714C3185138.jpeg
04749203-E0A6-4AD3-BC61-3F6B4FE6F5AF.jpeg
A5B57BF1-49AD-4074-82BC-C2629B0E1D56.jpeg
A5B57BF1-49AD-4074-82BC-C2629B0E1D56.jpeg
About wheels from Summit, recently decided to replace my magnum 500’s on my Gtx 67 with fresh ones , the replacements were of course made by Wheel Vintiques and were 15x7” as were my other set , the old set were pretty true running and the welds on back were very nice and uniform , no flaws , the replacements have the most ridiculous welds you could imagine! Totally unacceptable by able code anywhere! As an American Welding Society, Certified Welding Inspector these are borderline dangerous, and even though they have DOT cert numbers there is no way acceptable by any Highway Safety Regs! And neither want to make them good! Ck the pics
F66A0DD1-C214-418E-AB33-B07D599D7B8A.jpeg
C7DCFFF5-FAE4-46AE-8121-E9916445201B.jpeg 1C4F35CF-2A2C-4197-A5EB-32FFEA7B6EDA.jpeg 174D4F4C-74CB-45F0-80A4-D14F00DA9545.jpeg F329DE21-EB69-49A9-A3CF-55687AFFF3E5.jpeg

Probably not even a robot welder. Just some guy trying to lay down beads on a rotating jig, and doing it too fast to meet a quota.
fetch

I would have hard time believing that is a robotic weld , looks like gmaw, wire mig manual looking at starts and stops

I’m afraid to buy any “reproduction” or even “new” wheels.. With all the “technology” of today, these companies just seem to produce junk.

I had a long conversation with a guy at Coker on the phone about repro Rallye wheels. This was a month ago. He told me the repro trim rings Coker handles are so badly made they keep having to send them back to Asia and request replacements. They didn’t have any repro trim rings in stock and there was like at least a 2 to 3 month wait for Rallye or Steel wheels.. I’ve also heard vintage dog dish caps tend to fall off the repro Steel wheels.

Auto Transport Service
Back