• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

To ceramic undercoat or not?

PlymCrazy

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:01 AM
Reaction score
Hi guys,
Sitting here with a friend of mine who just put a deposit down on a 2023 Hellcat Jailbreak.
The salesman offered a “ceramic undercoating” which I personally have no experience with nor can I recommend either way.
The plans for the car are to be stored indoors always and only driven during nice weather.
Looking for your opinions, suggestions or recommendations so I can help advise making a decision here.
- PlymCrazy

I’ve always turned down everything they try to get you buy. That one’s a new one. Ceramic undercoat??? Uh, no thanks. What was the low, low monthly payment on that add on?

Have not heard of the ceramic undercoating. I’ve got GTechniq Ceramic on the paint on the HC. Every Dodge (Stellantis Pugeot Citroen) dealer I am familiar with is incompetent. Dangerous. Incoherent. I would not let them put air in the tires. I recommend Ceramic, but find a pro shop that has nothing to do with the dealer to install it after a good paint correction.

147EB957-D010-48F5-BCB2-BB48C7D9B853.png

I wouldn't let them put their hands on it. From what you describe, that bellypan will look as nice in 15 years as it will at 1 week old if he leaves it untouched. If the monkeys spray some stuff underneath they are liable to trap water and it will start to rust.

The problem I see with ceramic coating: it is a rigid coating. Having it on surfaces that flex like floor pans may cause cracking; then water gets in......& you know the rest.

Thanks guys! Your input is invaluable and greatly appreciated!

Skip the sales department add ons. It's just pure profit for the sales and F&I department. Pay almost nothing for the chemicals[ or parts like an add on alarm], pay detail shop next to nothing for install and you get the Ned Beatty[ Deliverance] treatment. I remember that stuff from my dealership days.

Just another Dealership "Step" to increase their profits. Costs pennies on the dollar to underwrite, and then charge exhortation rates for it and it isn't even worth the results they claim. Tell your Friend to walk away...cr8crshr/Bill :usflag: :usflag: :usflag:

I wouldn't let them put their hands on it. From what you describe, that bellypan will look as nice in 15 years as it will at 1 week old if he leaves it untouched. If the monkeys spray some stuff underneath they are liable to trap water and it will start to rust.
Couldn’t agree more, our now 16 yr old R/T that we bought new, was only caught in the rain twice, never driven in snow, never been in a car wash, dusted and covered after each use and the underside still looks almost new, yep I’m a little crazy
8AE42C33-3C36-4E54-894D-902DFC0F9F68.jpeg
BE8FA655-BBBF-400D-B90E-0D4362228DF2.jpeg

Well, I have a correction to make here. After revisiting the topic, it sounds like there was a bit of misunderstanding on the part of my friend who bought the Challenger. The ceramic treatment was NOT undercoating after all, as I originally stated. It was actually a coating on the paint as commonly known. Undercoating? I struggled to fit "ceramic" and "undercoating" when I initially heard it mentioned to me. But I figured, hey, you never know I guess. Hence me reaching out to you folks. Appreciate all that chimed in here.

Here she is. The day she was driven home from the dealer.

IMG_1862.jpeg

IMG_1861.jpeg

IMG_1860.jpeg

IMG_1859.jpeg

IMG_1858.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back